In this highly visible and critical position, the Director of Medical Affairs will lead a team of Medical Affairs Managers and Specialists in collaborating engagement with cross-functional teams and managing across and up IDEXX's highly-matrixed organization. Medical Affairs Managers/Specialists serve as technical & medical liaisons aligned with Research & Development, Lines of Business, and Commercial Marketing with the goal of ensuring the effective development, launch, and support of diagnostic products. The Director of Medical Affairs will align with key stakeholders to proactively shape and implement the strategic approach taken by Medical Affairs in support of products at various stages of development. The Director of Medical Affairs ensures prioritization of Medical Affairs' activities in support of customer-facing strategic initiatives for Corporate Accounts, Professional Services Veterinarians, Medical Consulting Service and International Medical teams. The Director of Medical Affairs serves as an ambassador to the profession in driving awareness of IDEXX innovation and accomplishes this by presenting and influencing medical content in the industry through a variety of internal and external audiences, leveraging relationships with thought leaders, universities and key customers.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Drive strategic priorities of Medical Affairs
- Strategize with Lines of Business, Commercial Marketing and Research & Development to shape product portfolios by articulating and advancing medical knowledge and customer insight generation research
- Ensure Medical Affairs activities are appropriately prioritized and aligned to achieve IDEXX Business Priorities and Goals
- Collaborate with Research & Development to shape product development to ensure relevance and efficacy in the market as supported by medical knowledge
- Ensure best-practice medical content is available to the industry through multiple channels for IDEXX product portfolio, including but not limited to lectures, seminars, accredited webinars, white papers, peer-reviewed journal publications.
- Partner with key medical guidance organizations to ensure alignment on best practice medicine within the industry as it relates to key research findings.
- Collaborate with Corporate Accounts on strategy for engaging and influencing Corporate Account C-suite and Regional Medical Leadership on the science and accuracy of IDEXX medical differentiators
- Collaborate on the strategy of engaging Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs) to conduct relevant industry research and peer-reviewed publications to support medical advancement.
- Strategize with other IDEXX Medical Leadership (Medical Consulting Services, Professional Services Veterinarians, Pathology, Telemedicine and International Medical Teams) to ensure appropriate and timely medical knowledge transfer.
- Lead & Develop the Medical Affairs team
- Provide leadership to Medical Affairs Managers, ensuring alignment to strategic direction with a balance of medical expertise and strong commercial mindset.
- Coach and develop team around key competencies required for success in the position with a strong focus on effective communication, demonstrating agility and working across the organization in delivering results.
- Manage staff, assign work, monitor activities, evaluate performance, manage critical issues, administer employment actions, provide coaching and guidance to staff and promote staff training and development. May support the development of department budget, policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.