The Director functions in a leadership and management role in the Medical Affairs department. This position supports the Senior Director of Medical Affairs in all day-to-day operations related to internal Medical Affairs core functions as well as the management of key external partnerships related to new publications, development of real-world evidence, digital medical education, key opinion leader strategies, medical information management, and field-based medical education and scientific exchange. The position is based at Exact Sciences headquarters in Madison, WI. Travel is up to 25% within key US markets to provide leadership and support to drive Medical Affairs strategy and execution.
This position reports to the Senior Director of Medical Affairs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Acts in a leadership and management capacity for the Medical Affairs team and works closely with the Senior Director of Medical Affairs, headquarters, laboratory and field-based teams to implement customer strategies aligned with scientific exchange, clinical and medical education, medical information management and key opinion leader engagement.
- Acts as a primary headquarters-based liaison between Medical Affairs and all other cross-functional directors and VPs.
- Works with key commercial and non-commercial stakeholders continually develop requirements and proposal to meet requirements to support the Medical Affairs projects, partnerships, and initiatives in alignment with the annual operating plan.
- Manages external partnerships and vendors
- Attend regional and national tradeshows, symposia, and scientific/clinical meetings.
- Manage time and travel expense budget to support scientific exchange and clinical education activities at key national accounts.
- Become proficient in and demonstrate ability to understand the major data sources (clinical trials, studies, published reports, etc.) relative to the use of Exact Sciences’ products.
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in life sciences
- Minimum of 10 years of industry experience in healthcare or medical technology fields with Medical Affairs or similar industry experience.
- Demonstrated track record of leading and managing medical affairs personnel.
- Experience with Medical Affairs vendor evaluation, sourcing, and management
- Demonstrated project management experience, skills, and track record of successful project execution.
- Demonstrate excellent English written and oral communication skills, as well as effective formal presentation skills.
- Ability to work well independently, and manage time effectively.
- Strong attention to detail with a focus on producing high quality work.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and decision making skills.
- Must be willing to travel at least 25% within the US as needed
- Must possess a valid driver's license, have no more than 2 moving violations in the past 36 months, and have no unresolved revocation or suspension issues.
- Master’s degree, MPH or MPA or MS; PhD or PharmD
- Experience in public health, population health management, health insurance, and medical quality.
- Experience with screening and wellness programs is strongly desired.
- An in-depth knowledge of the health care market as well as experience with clinical trials is a plus.
- Experience with working with and/or for advocacy groups and professional societies.
- Ability to use computers daily in an interactive manner for extended periods of time.
- Ability to sit for an extended period.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to constantly move about to coordinate work.
- Ability to travel (by land and air), both domestically and internationally. Ability to travel via automobile, airplane or other mode of commuter transportation approximately 60% of the time.
- Ability to frequently and accurately communicate with employees, customers, etc. face-to-face, via the telephone or by email.
- Ability to lift and move up to 40 pounds on an occasional basis.