Mindshare was born in Asia in 1997, a WPP start-up with a desire to change the media world. Now we are a global network with 116 offices in 86 countries and billings of $17.9bn. We are the largest agency in GroupM, WPP’s Media Investment Management arm, which is the #1 media holding group globally.
We aim to be our clients’ lead business partner and to grow their business. Mindshare Canada does this through speed, teamwork and purposeful provocation and by operating as a network of networks rather than a rigid hierarchy. When our clients have a problem, a challenge, a product or even a thought, we are proud to be their first port of call. We partner with some of the world’s largest and most recognizable brands, and our role is to make our clients’ brands more famous and more profitable. We sit today uniquely placed at the crossroads of media, data, technology and content and there is no other business partner who can have as transformative an impact on our client’s businesses as we can.
Whenever and wherever you join us, you open a door to opportunities in any and all aspects of media, technology and innovation. We will encourage you to break the rules, knock things down, rebuild them better, and push the boundaries of what’s possible. Our success takes a team of people who are invested in our culture, each other’s success, and their own growth, and together we make Mindshare Canada the place where we do the best work of our career.
Mindshare is looking for a Director, Media Planning with a passion for marketing and all aspects of media. The Client Leadership team (Media Planners and Media Investors) is an integral part in capturing a client’s vision to reach the intended audience. Overseeing the Media Planners, you will strategize how brands should communicate with people across the myriad of media channels, and how to do that differently from every other brand. Working with the Media Investors to bring media plans to life, you will be responsible for negotiating and purchasing of the media real estate.
The Director, Media Planning is the team lead on a core set of clients, responsible for bringing ideas and programs to fruition, including the successful creation and implementation of best practices, principles, strategies and process while ensuring consistent quality and output on projects. The team is still new and growing, so you will need to be a proven ‘self-starter’ who can help craft and implement a team vision.
- Develop, solidify and maintain client relationships ensuring collaboration, strong partnership and a united vision to achieve client business objectives
- Primary client contact, attending meetings and making presentations as required
- Provide guidance, clear direction and training to the team while giving ad hoc and formal feedback
- Manage SOW and ultimately client expectations within agreed upon deliverables and continuous optimization of resources
- Lead client’s plan presentations; accountable to ensure the plan answers the brief in a client-appropriate manner that will drive their business goals
- Establish a work plan for each deliverable and direct and define for the team key task assignments and partner and client liaison
- Oversee the day-to-day management of accounts acting as primary strategic lead between client, strategy, investment and analytic teams
- Work with the Media Investment team and other partners to ensure that the idea is strategically relevant and commercially viable
- Identify, develop and manage scalable omni-channel opportunities
- Define key program metrics and ensure proper measurement plans are executed
- Understand consumer insights and apply results to planning process
- Development of industry and category POVs on respective client business
- Rigorous financial management
- Establish strong industry profile and relationships with key marketplace partners
- Embrace Mindshare culture, mission and vision – embody it and action it
- Grow, engage, retain and recruit the best talent
- College diploma or bachelor’s degree, preferably with a concentration in advertising, marketing, business administration, or communications, or equivalent experience
- 8+ years of relevant industry experience
- Proven experience with people leadership to design a vision and strategy that motivates the team and fuels growth
- Possess a strong understanding of business marketing, communication planning and the media marketplace
- Proficiency with industry planning tools (ComScore, Nielsen, Vividata)
- Up to date knowledge of media owners, content owners, production agencies, research companies and other suppliers which we could partner with
- Current Canadian market planning experience
- Proven capabilities leading cross-platform media programs from conception to implementation
- Skilled at leading client conversations and managing client responsibilities
- Demonstrated ability to manage concurrent projects
- Awareness of client business issues, industry/consumer trends, promotional resources, market status and competition.
- Good understanding of tracking and tagging, behavioral marketing, database modeling, retargeting and addressability
- Embraces the Mindshare Growth Mindset by exhibiting adaptability, inclusivity, sincerity, curiosity, entrepreneurial spirit, and teamwork
- Excellent leadership skills and the ability to inspire and interact with all levels of staff
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; strong presentation skills
- Excellent time management skills; proven ability to prioritize and organize workload, and operate under tight deadlines while managing multiple projects
- Exceptional organizational skills and detail oriented
- Showcase a natural gift for grasping concepts quickly and making good judgments
- Ability to work on own initiative; pre-emptive and proactive; constantly thinking ahead; demonstrating a hands-on and highly organized approach to all tasks
- Ability to foster collaborative relationships with other cross-functional teams
- Ability to adapt and work in a fast-paced work environment effectively
- Strong capability in customer service skills and communications
- Strong leadership and people skills; ability to manage direct reports
- Able to work with a wide range of client and agency personalities
- Positive attitude, and innate curiosity with the world of media
- Comfortable working with budgets/numbers and a strong understanding of mathematical concepts