Reporting to the National Vice President Buildings, Mechanical & Electrical and in coordination and collaboration with the Transportation leadership team, the Director, Buildings Transportation M&E provides leadership and technical direction for the transportation business as it relates to buildings mechanical and electrical services. The Transportation Business Line in WSP Canada represents the largest and fastest growing area and is nationally recognized as a top player in all large scale, multidisciplinary projects. The advancement of our transportation business across the country is a key cornerstone to our Canadian Strategic Plan. As part of the Buildings Business Line, this position is critical in fostering internal relationships and leveraging our Mechanical & Electrical expertise to support current and future work. This position is a unique opportunity to grow an existing business as part of our strategic plan that offers innovative, value-engineered solutions that draw on decades of experience, through your valuable experience across provinces/territories and through your understanding of the challenges and risks of this sector. This role ensures coordination of efforts across provinces, other business lines, and other service lines and as such, you will have significant demonstrable experience optimizing the financial, commercial, and project delivery performance of an existing business, enhancing margins, and workforce utilization, enabling the growth of the business and ensuring client satisfaction.
All activities are undertaken in support of the WSP Canada strategic plan.
- Builds relationships with key internal and external clients, industry organizations, teaming partners, and stakeholders to identify opportunities and grow the business;
- Provides leadership engagingtechnical and project management employees in achieving set objectives;
- Responsible for optimizing project performance including, project margin, staff utilization, DSO, and general administration costs;
- Collaborates with peers nationally and in other geographies to leverage technical expertise, ensure client satisfaction and implement best practices;
- Conducts regular project reviews to ensure budget, schedule, risk, and cost to complete estimates are in order;
- Guides and project teams on measures to mitigate project performance issues and risks, ensuring successful delivery on the contractual commitments and financial targets for the project portfolio in order to meet client expectations and achieve or exceed profitability targets;
- Ensures collaboration within the business line and across the business lines to ensure effective resource sharing, workload/resource balancing and to bring the best the business line has to bear to meet the needs of clients;
- Responsible for managing and developing employees in accordance with WSP core values, the performance management program and the job architecture and job family structure, including supporting the identification and retention of and investment in top talent;
- Ensures a high degree of employee engagement and low turnover of staff by fostering a high performance culture;
- Visibly champions the WSP programs of safety and ethics & compliance to ensure they are an overriding part of the organizational culture.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering. Master’s degree (M. Eng., M. Sc.A.) is considered a plus;
- Minimum of twenty (20) years of experience within the transportation sector
- A strong and sustained history of delivering quality financial performance and results;
- A proven track record of developing internal and external business with existing and new clients
- Seen as a leader with a high and positive credibility factor;
- A strong reputation for uncompromising integrity;
- Demonstrated good judgment;
- Highly professional with strong written and oral communication skills;
- Comfortable with matrix management models;
- Confidence to influence a high caliber team to drive a business to higher performance levels and seize the opportunities presented internally and in the market;
- Advanced people and leadership skills to effectively manage relationships which may be indirect in order to achieve consensus, direction and achievement of results; and
- A track record of creating a climate where people want to do their best through working collaboratively, empowering teams to identify and solve problems, creating a clear sense of identity with the company, and holding teams accountable for meeting their collective goals;
- Must be open for 20% travel throughout Canada.#LI-LP1
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).