Serve as the company’s senior leader responsible for the stewardship of the company’s master data assets, ensuring master data accuracy and integrity. Lead development and implementation of enterprise master data management systems, processes and procedures to ensure data accuracy, centered on use of SAP S4HANA as the company’s ERP, in support of the company’s business. Serve as the company’s evangelist for promoting good master data management practices. Collaborate with company business and technology leaders, outside consultants and business partners (customers and suppliers) to successfully develop, implement, maintain and manage a comprehensive Enterprise Data Strategy. The Director Master Data Governance will be the focal point for company data standards, managing a team of Master Data Leads and chairing the company’s Data Council which governs enterprise master data.
Through 2021 this role will be primarily focused on the company’s SAP S4HANA ERP implementation project, after which the role will be integrated into the ongoing operation of the company. For the project, the Director Master Data Governance will lead the performance of business data activities in support of data transformation and migration. Examples of business data activities include data profiling and cleansing of legacy source data, defining data mapping and transformation logic, data preparation, supporting mock data loads, and data validation and reconciliation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead development and implementation of enterprise master data management systems, processes and procedures (collectively “enterprise master data governance solution”) to ensure data accuracy, centered on use of SAP S4HANA as the company’s ERP, in support of the company’s business. Collaborate with company business and technology leaders to manage all aspects of the enterprise master data governance solution including planning, standards approach, deployment, daily operation, change management and training.
- Define the Enterprise Data Strategy in line with and in support of enterprise and functional department strategies inclusive of enterprise analytics strategy. Align the MDG vision and strategy with the organization's strategic vision by clarifying what, why and how trusted master data contributes to business value.
- Establish and maintain policies and standards for end-to-end data governance, from master data creation through final destruction.
- Define data governance operational processes (e.g., data quality measurement) in line with policies and standards, clearly articulating roles & responsibilities. Communicate the data lifecycle processes for master data management to ensure integrity and accuracy in delivery of data for both internal company use and external business partner use.
- Monitor and measure compliance to data standards & processes. Manage all aspects of analytics/metrics as it relates to enterprise master data (completeness, quality, etc.) and communicate relevant information to company leadership. Define and measure milestones and criteria for success and provide regular reporting on progress to company leadership.
- Serve as a liaison and primary point of contact for all master data needs both internally and externally; such as integration needs with SAP S4HANA ERP and other company information systems, customer product data requirements, and Global Data Synchronization Network (GDSN) industry standards. Support business projects including integrations, SAP roll outs, etcetera.
- Promote expansion of good master data management practices and use of the master data management solution in additional areas of the business. Develop an enterprise-wide plan to promote data management / ownership and shift mindsets.
- Partner with cross-functional teams to define and prioritize current and future requirements and opportunities for enhanced returns from the enterprise master data management solution. Solve cross-functional governance issues and escalate as needed.
- Facilitate and chair the company’s Data Council to establish master data standards and proactively address issues and opportunities for improvement in the master data lifecycle.
- Continue personal professional development in the areas of business, leadership, project management, data management, business analytics and information technology. Continue to keep up-to-date with relevant master data management information technology solutions, data tools and suppliers relevant to the company’s business, and customer/industry product data requirements and standards. Continue to expand knowledge of the company's business with a focus on understanding the impact master data has on internal operations and external business partners. Cross-train on business software applications used at the company, with an emphasis on maintaining knowledge of SAP S4HANA ERP and any successor software.
- Travel (which will include overnights) as required to company sites, suppliers and training sites.
ERP Implementation Project Duties (also may be used for future business acquisitions):
Responsible for data readiness, data transformation, data migration and eventual data maintenance within SAP ERP for data objects across the company in support of the ERP Implementation Project.
Lead and participate in acquiring knowledge of existing legacy data, data structures and data landscape to participate in data profiling, data cleansing and data de-duplication activities.
Leverage existing SAP data expertise and experience, combined with knowledge gained of the specific processes and solutions within the company’s SAP environment to define future data for in-scope SAP data objects. This will include determining data rules and definitions within SAP, obtaining buy-in from stakeholders and documenting the information. Work closely with data, business and IT personnel on migration activities, including source data analysis, data extraction, definition of active data, historical data requirements, legacy system retention requirements and capturing data conversion logic in functional and technical specifications.
Assist assigned resources with building data loading programs and tools and testing them through mock loads and verification cycles. Lead and participate in the verification and validation of converted data obtained from SAP; this activity will include helping to log results, resolve conversion issues and re-test data defects for all mock loads, testing cycles, dress rehearsals and final cutover.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Management, Data Analytics, Business or related field and 10 years of relevant business experience or 15 years of relevant business experience.
- Relevant business experience must include a minimum of 5 years master data management experience in an SAP ERP environment.
- Direct experience performing data activities associated with an enterprise ERP (preferably SAP) implementation or transformation project and/or via rolling acquired companies into in existing enterprise ERP solution required.
- Significant knowledge of SAP ERP master data, business processes and master data use cases. Experience with master data governance software systems required; experience with SAP MDG software and/or EnterWorks MDM software preferred but not required.
- Knowledge of industry product data standards such as GDSN preferred.
- Experience supervising others.
- Business analysis and project management experiencerequired.
- Experience managing third party vendors a plus.
Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to be detailed-oriented while still maintaining a big picture perspective. Must have a solid understanding of corporate-wide functions, specifically how master data supports business processes. Excellent business acumen.
- Highly collaborative work style. Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build successful professional working relationships.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills. Will be expected to communicate to employees and suppliers at all levels (including company executives) via: face to face meetings, conference calls, written messages and project documentation. Ideal candidate must have excellent presentation skills and meeting facilitation skills. Excellent negotiation skills; collaborative approach
- Creative and analytical. Strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills. Can do attitude.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Ability to react under pressure to any given situation that may arise, in a professional manner and with positive results, in support of a multi-location, 7 X 24 environment.
- Ability to be the liaison between technology and the business.
- Ability to work independently, with limited direction, to achieve expected results.