Over the next year, we’ll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To close gaps in care and advance equity in the communities we serve, we have to start with making our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bringing together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels supported and included as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
About the Role:
- Cityblock’s growth team dynamically supports the Cityblock mission including New Business Development, Existing Partner Management, Policy Intelligence, Market Entry Strategy and Developing Business Cases for New Products.
- The Director - Market Growth will be a critical team member, responsible for Cityblock’s growth with existing partners and within existing markets. The role will support a variety of activities with existing partners, especially building and maintaining relationships with senior level partner executives to ensure the partners needs are being met by Cityblock market teams, while generating new business ideas based on partner’s strategy and unique opportunities in the market. This includes managing data analysis and contracting processes, communicating about Cityblock, analyzing financial structures for new deals, negotiating 7+ figure value-based care deals, gaining a deep understanding of the local market and policy dynamics. The role will also support the development and execution of in-market growth and account management plans, with the objective of rapidly growing Cityblock across existing markets by developing deals with new partners. Typical work will include cross-organizational senior executive relationship management, new business concept development, deal structuring, negotiation and closing. The role will inform critical strategic considerations for the young company, including new products, new markets and refinement of partnership models.
- The ideal candidate thrives when sitting at the intersection of commercial opportunities, relationship management, strategy, financial analysis, and operational domains. Reflecting the significant growth of our organization, the optimal candidate has deep experience and exposure across health plan operations, such as financial management, revenue cycle management, quality analytics and reporting, call center operations, network management, and more. This is not a “sales” business development role - it is a strategic advisor where thought leadership, relationship building, creativity, and sound business acumen are what drive success. Ideal candidate does not need to have deep sales or account management experience, and relevant backgrounds include health plan operations, consulting, private equity, strategy, and other managerial roles. This person will connect with other external leaders in ways that they see Cityblock Health as a critical ally and partner in bringing leading care delivery models to serve Medicaid and Medicare patients.
- If you like hard problems, are seeking out entrepreneurial opportunities, and are an amazing teammate, we want to hear from you!
Requirements for the Role:
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA/MHA/JD preferred
- 10 years of experience in healthcare industry or health related field with experience in managed care executive leadership, contracting, partnerships, business development, particularly in risk-based healthcare, or similar roles as a strategy consultant or in finance
- Superb project/process management skills and proven success in a startup environment: rigorous, energetic, agile, and flexible
- Negotiation skills, ideally with 7+ figure deals
- Exceptional organizational, communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to project professional competence, leadership capability, and personal maturity while building strong executive relationships
- Charismatic with excellent presentation skills and the ability to build and own external relationships with key executive stakeholders, often leveraging existing industry contacts
- Experience in rigorous quantitative and qualitative market diligence and analysis, likely demonstrated through management consulting or operational business development roles
- Strong working understanding of the national payer and risk-bearing provider landscape as well as digital health trends and new entrants
- Strong understanding of health reform, population health strategy, and change leadership in large, complex health care organizations
- Willing to travel as needed (from 0% to 100% on week-by-week variable basis) to perform essential duties
How We Define Success:
- Support growth team in driving top-line revenue with existing partners and identifying and driving new growth opportunities with new partners in the same market.
- Manage external executive relationships, and work collaboratively with market operations teams to be sure Cityblock is performing against the partner’s expectations
- Structuring deals with existing partners and new partners in existing geographies. Managing growth team members to complete deal financial analysis, member cohort analysis, and other market entry business case development analytically
- Manage sales pipeline to ensure new business deals move through pipeline to execution
- Work closely in collaboration with legal, actuarial staff and operators to ensure input into growth projects, and support hand-off of new deals to implementation and operations teams
- Develop materials for external meetings including market research, policy research, synthesis of deal structures and value-based care offering
- Analyze and compile research to develop strategies for new market entry
- Promote and thrive within a metrics driven culture, with consistent targets and forecasting
- Contribute to and lead other Cityblock efforts related to Growth as needed
Nice to Have, But Not Required:
- MBA, JD, MPH
- Strong eye for design and the ability to create high-quality production content
- Start-up experience
- Experience in management consulting, finance, impact investing
- Experience working with healthcare payers and providers
What We’d Like From You:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short cover letter, please!