The Director of Manufacturing Operations, Sheet Metal, plans, directs, and coordinates manufacturing operations to achieve Protolabs operating objectives. Has overall responsibility for one of Protolabs' plants - personnel, processes, manufacturing activities and maintenance.
Specific duties include:
- Responsible for promoting a culture of Safety at all times. Ensure all aspects of Safety (training, awareness, PPE's, urgency, communication, etc.) are given the highest priority.
- Inspire culture of engagement, empowerment and individual ownership of operational performance results.
- Responsible to ensure key performance indicators (e.g. OTD, rework, NC's, etc.) are continuously improved. Set goals and initiate tasks and projects as appropriate to drive business results.
- Owner of the manufacturing budgets for the area. Accountable for achieving gross margin targets.
- Responsible for process engineering, implementing and sustaining the manufacturing processes and procedures ensuring high quality parts and efficient operations.
- Responsible for selecting manufacturing processes appropriate to deliver the product roadmap.
- Accountable to create, maintain and communicate a manufacturing operations roadmap that aligns to the company strategy.
- Accountable for deployment of the company strategy within the manufacturing operations, ensuring alignment.
- Develop and motivate a strong Team with an eye towards succession planning.
- Drive continuous improvement through the principles of Proto Excellence (Kaizens, 5S, engagement, visual control, etc.)
- Accountable for assuring good business readiness and change management practices.
- Ensures assigned staff are qualified and appropriately trained for assigned work.
- Directly or indirectly supervises all manufacturing employees at that location.
- Lead the settings of goals for the Team that are consistent with corporate objectives.
- Develop and execute sound policies, plans, and procedures for a Protolabs manufacturing facility, including, but not limited to, the areas of staffing, scheduling, fabricating, building, inventory planning, manufacturing operations, and product quality.
- Facilitate identification of problem areas (e.g., bottlenecks or increased errors due to manual intervention) and ensure implementation of solutions to promote effective, efficient and economic business practices.
- Write and deliver annual performance evaluations for direct reports.
- Promote actions consistent with professional and ethical behavior.
- Keep direct reports informed on all significant matters which he/she and members of his/her staff must know to effectively manage their areas of accountability.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- 8 or more years of relevant manufacturing and/or operations management
- Significant people management experience as a middle manager or higher
- Strong written and oral communication skills: able to communicate complex technical information to all levels of the organization, able to clearly present data in written and verbal form
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong attention to detail and experience with managing project documents and producing quality content
- Self-motivated and self-directed with high sense of urgency
- Able to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented work environment
- Strong time management skills with the ability to successfully perform within a project framework including defined deliverables and time frames
- Concurrently solve immediate issues while maintaining a vision of the future
- A background or working knowledge of sheet metal fabrication
- Experience working within a Continuous Improvement environment
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration or an engineering discipline