(Swiftwater, PA) The Director Maintenance & Engineering provides management and leadership for the Maintenance and Engineering functions that support the Swiftwater site by directing the staff and processes to execute the Industrial Affairs (IA) and Technical Services vision. This position ensures that the Technical Services Department provides continuous value to the Swiftwater site by establishing a proactive maintenance culture and executing engineering best practices in order to optimize the lifecycle of our site assets to deliver high industrial performance. This position also ensures that the repair and preventative maintenance of the facility and its equipment, meets the regulatory requirements through maintenance design and execution, with the goal of minimal operational interruptions to our customers and that the Engineering teams provide the proper operational support through technical SME’s and the execution of projects to meet the business needs of the site.
The Director Maintenance & Engineering is responsible for the operating expense budget of approximately $20M. This is accomplished through the management of approximately 8 direct reports and 50 indirect reports. Decisions made by the Technical Services Leader have the potential to impact the business by interrupting GMP manufacturing and losing millions of dollars of lost production revenue each day. There is a $165,000 approval authority for expenditures and the authority to hire the required resources to get the requested work completed while staying within budget.
In cooperation with the Site Technical Services Leadership Team, develop the strategic vision for the department and execute that vision, by providing leadership and direction of its personnel, tracking regulatory changes, understanding department responsibilities, and then adjusting the operation accordingly.
*Accountable for the following through execution by the Technical Services Leadership Team:
- Ensure the implementation of Preventive Maintenance (PM) and Corrective Maintenance of facilities and equipment across the site.
- Communicating with End Users to manage the Maintenance Budget and prioritize workload.
- Ensure the implementation of proactive maintenance strategies for reliable manufacturing equipment operation.
- Ensure the implementation of Engineering and Maintenance Best Practices (Predictive Technologies, Root Cause Failure Analysis, Project Execution, GEG's, etc.) across the site.
*Ensure efficient and effective operation by creating a proactive environment, developing & monitoring metrics, and communicating with End Users to add increased value to the business. Utilizing the "+QDCI" Visual Management Systems, Sanofi Manufacturing System, and working with the ILT to drive improvements in performance.
*Participate as a key member of the Technical Services Leadership Team (TSLT) by cooperating cross functionally to achieve the Technical Services priorities to support the site performance. Ensure that the people in Technical Services understand the shared accountability for Goals and Priorities with Operations.
*Collaborate with Global Engineering and Maintenance (GEM) Team and implement the GEM Vision at the site level. Partner with GEM and Global PMF to ensure effective implementation of investment portfolio both for Strategic Projects and C&M Projects.
*Provide people and team development for increased company value and personal satisfaction. Work with department teams to ensure success and encourage collaboration and networking across all functions.
- Lead the department as a "Change Agent" to make a change in culture that includes developing a manufacturing centric organization, increasing management presence (both people managers and support roles) on the shop floor, and issue resolution by the support functions collaboratively with Operations on the shop floor.
- Utilize Performance Management tools to recognize high performers and coach low performers.
*Ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements and good documentation practices are followed to track all work and make data analysis efficient.
- Drive reduction in deviations by increasing awareness of cGMP practices and compliance requirements.
- Ensure Root Cause Failure Analyses are performed and corrective actions are implemented to prevent repeat equipment and procedural deviations.
- Ensure all individuals in the department are up-to-date on training requirements.
*Develop a strong Safety Culture that encourages taking the right amount of time to perform each task safely.
- Be present on the floor with managers and technicians to ensure accountability for safe behaviors and overall safety performance.
- Lead and encourage participation in the SOR program and the SCOUT team.
*BS or MSrequired in an Engineering discipline
*10+ years large scale biotech or pharmaceutical with in the areas of manufacturing, maintenance, engineering, project management, analytical & process development experience.
*5+ years in a management position have worked with Maintenance and Engineering personnel with increasing levels of responsibility and have a good understanding of all trades, current best practices, GMP/GLP, and common issues addressed by Maintenance and Engineering.
*Periodic travel is required.
Must demonstrate the key competencies of Act for Change, Strive for Results, Commit to Customers, Cooperate Transversally, Think Strategically, Lead Teams, Make Decisions, and Develop People.
Sanofi Inc. and its U.S. affiliates are Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employers committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status; domestic violence victim status; atypical cellular or blood trait; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other characteristic protected by law.