We're looking for an experienced engineering manager or director who can lead teams, contribute independently and work with peers from other teams including Product, Design, and Infrastructure to deliver great products. BuzzFeed engineering leads take initiative and drive technical and organizational improvement through standards, tooling and mentorship.
As Director of our Monetization Tools team, you'll help empower our engineers to build tools and services that are crucial for our branded advertising business and monetization efforts.
You will report to one of our VP's of Engineering based in our New York office. You will act as a technical lead as well as a people manager, directly managing a small team of experienced engineers, some of whom have direct reports of their own.
Our Monetization Tools team...
- Develops internal workflow tools to facilitate communication and coordination throughout the lifecycle of our branded advertising campaigns
- Provides audience insights that are crucial to the sales, creation and distribution of branded advertising
- Builds tools to optimize and report on the delivery and performance of our native ads
- Collects data on our advertising campaigns and delivers insights to the business
Candidates should have experience with...
- Architecting service oriented systems
- Mentoring and managing Sr. Engineers
- Understanding business problems and translating them to engineering projects
Experience in Ad Tech is nice to have
- Lead technical initiatives and manage career growth for your team
- Work collaboratively with other teams across tech; other technical leaders and design/product/data science/qa
- Own the output and day-to-day operations of your team
- Help translate business goals to technical projects
- Code reviews; architecture reviews
- Source and hire world-class engineering talent
- You adapt quickly to change.
- You empathize with BuzzFeed audiences.
- You are a compassionate leader who has experience training & skill building.
- You excel at leading and delivering on complex projects.
- You are diligent when it comes to writing documentation.
- You value repeatability, resilience, observability, and operational simplicity.
- You love discovering solutions to complex problems.
- You work collaboratively and understand the importance of cross-functional communication to effectively deliver products
About our Tech Stack:
- Python / Go
- AWS, GCP
- Linux (Ubuntu)
- Source Control (Git)
- Databases (MySQL, Redis, Cassandra, Redshift, BigQuery, ElasticSearch)
- Infrastructure Tools (Docker, ECS, Terraform)
- Messaging systems (NSQ)
- Monitoring / Instrumentation (Nagios, DataDog, StatsD)
- Frontend (React, Redux, T3.js, Sass)
- Service Oriented Architecture