Description: This role is to ensure that the people of Kaiser Permanente develop their skills and abilities to take the organization to a successful future. The primary focus of the department is to support the development that achieves the quality and service differentiation strategy. To that end, the key responsibilities for this role is to help build a robust new employee entry process, develop a sustainable learning strategy for the development of leader and staff capability. The Director will also work in partnership with Northern California KFH/HP and Medical Group Leaders, as well as Labor Partners to develop and implement the L&D strategy. This position will report directly to the Executive Director, Talent Management and serve as a member of the Integrated Talent Management Leadership Team.
- Strategy and Needs Assessment - Work closely with Northern California Operational Leaders, HR Leaders, Labor Partners and with National Shared Services to prioritize learning needs and to develop an implementation plan Develop effective processes for prioritizing, designing, and implementing L&D programs and services in Northern California. Develop proposals/business cases for new programs that support the Northern California KP strategy. Collect, analyze and interpret data from existing and new sources to determine aggregate learning needs for various employee populations across Northern California. Collaborate with Shared Services to develop and implement an enterprise-wide leadership development strategy.
- Communication and Outreach - Ensure easy access to L&D resources using multiple venues. Leverage successful local and national learning practices and resources. Specifically, serve as liaison to and between medical centers, service areas and regional functional areas. Advance internal reputation of L&D through access to outstanding service and program offerings.
- New Hire Workforce Entry - Work closely with key constituents to ensure that the design and implementation of new hire programs are aligned with the organizational cultural strategy. This includes the design and development of materials, oversight of consultant provider contracts and vendors, and monitoring of curriculum efficacy. In conjunction with the HR Leaders, responsible for tracking and trending of new hire data and ensuring that it relates to identified organizational competency requirements. Collaborate with HR Leaders, Operational Leaders, Labor Partners and Shared Services to ensure that the new hire entry process is of the highest quality and is consistently applied.
- Management of the Learning and Development Department - Manage ongoing administration of L&D Department including staffing, staff development, communication and performance evaluations. Ensure employee commitment (e.g. staff involvement in decision-making, goal setting, and strategic planning). Meet retention and internal promotion targets. Ensure high functioning L&D systems and services related to learning needs assessment and learning consultation; program design and development, delivery options, learning event logistics, program evaluation; tracking and reporting. Ensure design and delivery of services in alignment with strategic direction and within department's budget targets. Demonstrate cost-effectiveness and responsiveness to customer needs.
- Kaiser Permanente conducts compensation reviews of positions on a routine basis. At any time, Kaiser Permanente reserves the right to reevaluate and change job descriptions, or to change such positions from salaried to hourly pay status. Such changes are generally implemented only after notice is given to affected employees.
- Minimum eight (8) years of management experience across multiple departments or sites as well as eight (8) years of experience in the planning, design and evaluation of programs and services for individual development and organizational performance.
- Master's degree in behavioral sciences or education OR six (6) years of experience in a directly related field
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Ability to effectively manage and achieve successful outcomes in an environment of ambiguity and competing priorities is required.
- Demonstrated ability to work in partnership, and to effectively lead and stabilize a workforce during times of transition is also critical to the success of this role.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.