Job ID R-301710
Job Description Summary
The Director, MDS R&DLeanEngineeringserves as a key member of the MDS R&D leadership team and also a key cross-functional partner to drive product and process efficiency objectives across the ~$3.8 Billion Medication Delivery Solutions (MDS) business unit.
Reporting solid line to the Vice President, MDS R&D, the Director, MDS R&D LeanEngineering will work across legacy BD and Bard and will build and lead a team that will be accountable for Change to Win (CTW) initiatives across MDS; revamping key Design Control procedures and processes; creating, digitizing, and/or modernizing end-to-end product development tools, including all critical information and data flows.
The Director, MDS R&D LeanEngineering serves as a key member of the MDS R&D leadership team and also a key cross-functional partner to drive product and process efficiency objectives across the ~$3.8 Billion Medication Delivery Solutions (MDS) business unit.
- Establish and implement a roadmap to establish Lean Design Control procedures and processes
- Design, develop, build, and implement a modern, digital, end-to-end Product Development environment that provides a streamlined user experience for R&D teams around the globe
- Deliver annual product cost reductions; build a strategic roadmap for additional future cost reductions; and ensure Design for Cost and Design for Manufacturability is a strong focus in future product development programs
BD is seeking a special individual who has the ability to articulate a compelling overarching vision that is inspirational and is rooted in improving the lives of patients around the world. This leader needs to be very hands-on in ensuring executional success, including serving as the core architect of revamped and revitalized product development systems and processes.
The successful candidate will have a proven record of product development and leadership in the medical device industry with a minimum of eight years of experience. S/he should be well-versed and experienced with the execution of all aspects of product development including design, development, verification and validation and other issues relevant to the final commercialized product.
The candidate must have solid R&D experience developing and employing modern, lean product development methodologies across large multi-disciplinary teams. In particular, s/he should have demonstrated experience designing, developing, and implementing Design Controls and digital tools (e.g., Requirements Management, PLM, and LIMs).
The candidate will have a reputation and record of effective collaboration with peers, subordinates, and superiors, and in particular Quality and Operations Leadership. S/he should also have a demonstrable history of attracting and developing technical talent, with an emphasis on building engineering competencies. The candidate will have earned an undergraduatedegree, preferably in engineering. An advanced degree will be advantageous.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
- Demonstrated technical organizational design and development, including a strong track record of mentorship and associate development
- Expert knowledge of Medical Device Design Control regulations (FDA and CE) and best practices
- Deep knowledge and experience with Medical Device Design and Development from requirements creation and management through product development to design verification and testing
- Deep knowledge and experience with Product Stewardship and Life Cycle Management, with a particular emphasis on cost containment and reduction
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills required. Experience leading global teams is a strong plus
- Strong track record of product and program cost containment and reductions required, including use of LeanEngineering principles and practices
- Experience utilizing, specifying, and implementing practices and tools to increase product development efficiencies in a regulated environment
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities
- Action oriented with a focus on results
- Demonstrated positive work ethic with a strong commitment to achieving project goals
An Undergraduate degree in an engineering field is required; an MS or Doctoral degree is highly preferred and an MBA desirable.
- BS degree in Engineering discipline, MS/MBA preferred
- 10+ years of Engineeringexperience and Project/Product Management expertise