Director Laboratory Services
Location: United States - Texas - Houston
Industry: Healthcare / Health Services - Hospital Administration
Job Category: Medical / Health - Lab
The Director of Laboratory Services is responsible for the 24-hour management of the following departments: laboratory (in-house/send outs), pathology, blood bank, chemistry, hematology, and urinalysis. This includes short and long term planning, program and staff development, resource and budget management, quality monitoring and improvement, strategic planning, and evaluation of policies and procedures to ensure quality patient care and patient satisfaction. Maintains clinical and management knowledge to advance the laboratory profession and utilizes team leadership within the department to accomplish these goals. He/she works under the Medical Director of Laboratory .Assists in the collaborative efforts of the hospital to maintain all levels of compliance and accreditation. The Directorsupports patient and family centered care in concert with Methodist West Houston Hospital?s values of Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect and Excellence standards.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Demonstrates the ability to guide and direct others toward goal setting. Assumes leadership position to ensure seamless, quality, family centered care throughout the health-illness continuum. Actively participates and leads initiatives to improve patient and hospital operations. Delegates effectively by entrusting responsibility and authority to others. Assumes administrator on-callresponsibilities.
- Leads change
- Leads through vision and values
- Values diversity
- Exhibits adaptability
- Sets goals and objectives and develops an implementation system to reach those goals. Ensures creative and futuristic planning for health care delivery. Collaborates with medical staff, executives, hospital leaders, and hospital staff to assure goals are in congruence.
- Utilizes business acumen
- Drives for results
- Sets specific goals and objectives
- Integrates current knowledge of all areas of responsibility and management theories and concepts into the practice environment. Establishes goals for own professional growth including participation in professional organizations. Serves as an internal expert to the organization and develops and implements training programs for staff.
- Develops others
- Exhibits empowerment of staff
- Obtains and manages human, financial and physical resources. Develops and maintains budgets (operational and capital). Provides overall management of human resources within areas of responsibility. Utilizes monitoring and trending data to provide appropriate cost effective patient care which is in concert with the philosophy of the Hospital.
- Works within budget allocation
- Ensures employee satisfaction
- Efficiently utilizes staffing resources
- Ensures the exchange of information (written and verbal) and ideas is timely, effective, and respectful. Informs executive management of pertinent information. Acts as the communication link between management, staff, and outside agents as needed. Prepares reports that are professionally written and provides an accurate interpretation of the information.
- Builds trust
- Communicates with impact
- Develops Strategic Relationships
- Exhibits Interpersonal Sensitivity
- Utilizes organizational savvy
- Demonstrates the components of the ICARE values statement (Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, and Excellence) and complies with Business Practice Standards for performance.
- Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
- Demonstrates Service PRIDE standards
Masters degreepreferred, Bachelor?s degreerequired
Six to eight years of progressively responsibleexperience, two of which must have involved managerial responsibility. Experience maybe substituted for part of the education requirement as appropriate.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Laboratory Director must be certified as a Medical Technologist by the Board of Registry (ASCP).
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
? Must be able to write and speak effectively in English.
? Must demonstrate interpersonal skills with all levels of the healthcare team
? Computer knowledge with expertise in utilizing various systems and applications
Security Clearance Required: No
Visa Candidate Considered: No
Full-time Benefits - Full
Relocation Assistance Available - Yes
Bonus Eligible - Yes
- 7+ to 10 years experience
Seniority Level - Director
Management ExperienceRequired - No
Minimum Education - Bachelor's Degree
Willingness to Travel - Occasionally
- Laboratory Director must be certified as a Medical Technologist by the Board of Registry (ASCP).
- Six to eight years of progressively responsibleexperience, two of which must have involved managerial responsibility