We are seeking a Lab Operations Director to be responsible for ensuring the efficiency and effectiveness of all deliverables for Ontario Laboratory Operations.
The Laboratory Operations Director holds the primary accountability for the achievement of goals and targets related to safety, people, quality, and the cost effective delivery of diagnostic services within the Laboratory.
Reporting to the VP, Laboratory Operations, and working as a member of the National Laboratory Operations team, the Ontario Laboratory Operations Director is generally accountable to provide leadership, strategy, business plans and program development for the laboratory.
This is a full time permanent role located at 6560 Kennedy Road, Toronto.
- Leads, coaches and manages a team of Laboratory Managers to develop and train a high-performing team.
- Plans, directs and coordinates laboratory operations aligned to strategic plan.
- Develops and aligns the annual business plan including setting objectives and targets, developing strategies for integration of new business and initiating, developing and leading special projects while fostering an environment of continuous improvement.
- Aligns plans to government regulations, quality standards and other regulatory Provide progressive leadership and strategic and tactical planning, direction, and overall team management for the managers at the assigned site.
- Promote employee engagement and create a culture with clear expectations and accountabilities
- Develops and reports on meaningful, achievable KPIs and provide support to address any issues in a timely manner
- Actively contributes to both strategic and tactical planning for Laboratory Services
- Accountable for ensuring LifeLabs Mission, Values, and strategies are reinforced and supported within area of responsibility
- Accountable for escalating operational issues in an effective manner to ensure Leadership awareness of problems impacting the operation
- Create a culture of safety awareness and emphasize personal accountability for safety
- Promote a continuous improvement culture
- Develop talent and maintain succession planning process to ensure we have capable leaders to sustain and grow operations.
- Building a highly engaged and positively inspired team
- Manages human resources, including selection, onboarding, training, performance management, compensation, disciplinary actions, development, retention and terminations.
- Develops and implements succession plans
- Develops annual budget plan aligned to strategic and operational planning and manages budget. Tracks and reports on variances
- Participates in the planning and acquisition of all new equipment and technology to ensure the delivery of timely, quality results. Develops plans and oversees implementation.
- Provides leadership to ensure that that vendors and suppliers continue to meet the needs of the laboratory business
- Post-secondary education in Business, MBA or a Health Care discipline
- 7 years’ experience in progressively responsible positions within a laboratory environment
- Current registration with the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario considered an asset
- Direct experience managing large staff numbers and experience with large scale, complex projects
- Related experience in Lean Six Sigma, Kaizen Transformation or a willingness to develop
- Experience in or understanding of issues in the diagnostic services industry
- Ability to respond to emergencies within a 24/7 operation
- Ability to travel regularly between sites
- Ability to travel provincially and nationally – approximately 10% of the time