Ankura’s Joint Venture & Partnership Practice is the world’s leading advisor on joint ventures and non-equity partnerships – the result of its acquisition of Water Street Partners in July 2020. The practice advises clients around the world and across industries on joint venture and partnership transactions, governance, and restructurings. On transactions, we advise heads of corporate development, general counsels, and business unit leaders on deal strategy and design, partner due diligence, valuation, deal term structuring and negotiation, and launch planning and management, and often manage the overall transaction process. On governance, we work with owner companies, venture boards, and management teams of existing joint ventures and partnerships to improve or restructure these businesses or assets, in some cases supporting ownership changes and exits. We also serve corporate clients in governing and managing a portfolio of joint ventures and partnerships, helping to develop partnering strategies, corporate capabilities, policies, processes, and systems for managing this class of ventures as a whole. Our work is underpinned by an extensive repository of proprietary tools, data, and benchmarks, which make us highly distinctive relative to other consulting firms. We are the preeminent thought leader in this space, regularly speaking at conferences and publishing in leading business publications around the world, including Harvard Business Review, Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance, and MIT Sloan Management Review. Our team has negotiated, restructured, or advised many of the largest ventures in the world. Since 2008, our team practice has advised on more than 400 venture transactions valued at $750 billion, and supported the shareholders, boards, or management teams in more than 450 existing joint ventures. Some 70% of our work is outside the United States.
As a Director, you will be involved in directly advising clients, developing new clients, developing, and delivering distinctive content, and building the firm’s broader capabilities.
- Client Advisory: You will work with other members of the Joint Venture & Partnership Practice, and other Ankura colleagues team in directly advising clients on issues related to joint venture & partnership structuring, governance, and restructuring. You will be responsible for performing specific research and analyses, conducting and capturing insights from interviews, and developing recommendations – as well as participating in client conversations and presentations. For joint venture & partnership transactions, you will be involved in identifying comparables, developing deal options, drafting and evaluating deal terms, recommending negotiating strategies and implementation approaches. For existing ventures, this will include diagnosing venture performance and underlying root causes (typically related to strategy and scope, governance, financial arrangements, service agreements, organization and talent), generating restructuring options, and supporting clients with implementation strategy. You will have significant interaction with senior executives at major global companies – including BU Presidents, CFOs, Heads of Strategy, Corporate Development and M&A, and General Counsels.
- Client Development: You will work with other members of the Joint Venture & Partnership team to introduce new clients to the firm by actively participating in introductory and ongoing relationship conversations, drafting proposals, and building new relationships.
- Content Development and Delivery: You will work with other members of the team, and take a lead role, in creating and delivering new and practical thinking on joint ventures. This will include conducting interviews with dealmakers, board members and CEOs of major joint ventures, and other executives involved in joint ventures. You will generate ideas on new content – and conduct interviews, perform research and analyses, generate insights, and develop tools to address the issues. You will likely be involved in the development of articles for external publication, as well as Ankura Joint Venture Index (AJVI).
- Broader Practice and Firm Capabilities. Depending on your skills and interests – and the practice’s needs at the time – you will likely be asked to take the lead on one (or two) areas associated with building the Joint Venture and Partnership practice’s broader capabilities and market positioning. Examples of such areas could include: supporting Ankura’s firmwide branding efforts, being actively involved in recruiting and onboarding of new staff, or participating in testing new products and services.
- 4-8 years of professional experience, preferably at a leading professional services firm (e.g., top-tier management consultancy, investment bank or within the strategy or corporate development function of a leading company )
- An undergraduate degree from a top academic institution; advanced degree preferable; and a clear track-record of academic excellence
- Some direct experience working on transactions, preferably in joint venture- and partnership-intensive industries (e.g., energy, health care, high-tech)
- High energy style, flexible and adaptive, with the ability to work well in a very fast paced environment
- Strong intellectual curiosity and problem-solving skills with the ability to adapt to complex client environments and situations, synthesize complex unstructured information rapidly, and develop insights and recommendations
- Demonstrated articulate, persuasive, verbal communication skills; track record of adeptly handling executive and difficult audiences well, including ability to adapt style to audience
- Excellent written communication skills, self-directed with preparation of client ready documents and PowerPoint presentations
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally is required
Ankura is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment where mutual respect and collaboration is paramount. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, protected veteran status, national origin, or any other legally protected status.