As part of Enterprise Audit Team at Unum, you will hone your audit and business expertise with a critical goal in mind – strengthening Unum’s control environment to the highest degree possible to position Unum for continued future success. In this professional level role, you will help lead talented auditors on dynamic and meaningful engagements, with frequent exposure to senior business leaders across the Company.
As an IT Audit Director, you will be able to leverage your audit experience and passion for learning and growing on a daily basis. You will be given wide latitude of independent decision-making and will have ample opportunity to apply and expand your expertise in multiple areas of our business. The increasingly digitized business environment has led organizations like Unum to include digital in their strategy and give IT risks higher priority. In turn, this has impacted the required skills that the audit department should have. IT skills, particularly data analytics skills, and advisory skills are becoming crucial for auditors in order to stay close to the strategy of the organization and to increase the quality of this function. This role provides successful candidates the opportunity to lead and drive this strategic shift in Unum's audit organization. This role also provides you the ability to work with colleagues across the entire Company and have opportunities for additional internal and external exposure.
We are not looking for folks who just check the boxes. Our Enterprise Audit vision at Unum is to be a valued business advisor and trusted assurance provider, providing forward looking insights that strengthen business performance through every engagement we complete.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads his/her staff on accurate completion of audit plan and other requested assurance, and manages the day to day activities of the staff including the ongoing duties of the IT functional area of Audit.
- Responsible for determining staffing needs of the team, including hiring, development, performance management and compensation decisions affecting assigned staff. Coordinates the effective scheduling of IT Audit resources (internal and external) to ensure work is completed timely and in a cost effective manner.
- Reviews and updates existing auditing and administrative processes and procedures in an effort to streamline activities to increase productivity.
- Proactively identifies and researches risks to achievement of Enterprise objectives and develops the IT annual audit plan.
- Demonstrates broad ownership and accountability for the outcomes of his/her team as well and for the plans and objectives of the organization.
- Overall accountability for ensuring that testing plans effectively analyze and evaluate the most important and relevant risks and controls for business applications used to support key business operations, information security, business and operational systems, networks, general computer controls, IT infrastructure, and other systems related processes and risk areas including those related to company objectives.with business applications, general computer controls, IT infrastructure controls, processes and other systems related risk areas including those related to company objectives.
- Review workpapers and provide review comments to IT audit staff.
- Analyzes workpapers and risk and controls, provides expert IT consulting support to senior management regarding conformance to corporate policies and procedures, technical inquiries, audit planning and financial, operational and compliance governance and controls. Proven ability to interpret multi-disciplinary analyses.
- Leads Enterprise Audit initiatives and projects.
- Ensures compliance with internal controls policies, Audit procedures and applicable external standards.
- Monitors and remains current with industry trends, emerging risks and issues in support of both business partner and IT Audit plans and objectives; identifies and implements appropriate opportunities.
- Manage the development and integration of applicable computer aided audit tools (CAAT), audit systems and analytic tools with IT audits.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Develops strong partnerships with senior IT and business management across a broad set of Enterprise business functions by providing strong contributions to risk management, governance and controls that deliver business value; participates in ongoing relationship management.
- Ability to clearly communicate broad business risk management, governance and control issues impacting business partners; proactively recommends the most appropriate/effective recommendations to decision makers including senior IT and business management.
- Utilizes more complex or creative ways of displaying supporting data and implements the most appropriate/effective resolution for issues involving the functional IT Audit area.
- Network with external partners; such as peer and industry groups, external auditors and co-source partners.
- Leads and has overall accountability for maintaining audit and internal control systems and audit programs and procedures that support the specific functional area (IA, IC, IT, ICA) including, but not limited to operational reports/dashboard, ongoing monitoring, CAAT, Analytics and combined assurance services.
- Demonstrates and regularly applies an expert working knowledge of Unum’s products, services, technology and business processes (including customer, market and industry knowledge), his/her specific functional area, its issues and the technical skills required to support it.
- Relevant four yeardegreepreferred information systems, computer science, finance/accounting or other related IT field, and professional certification preferred or relevant graduate degree, and at least seven years relevant work experience in IT audit related field.
- Strong people management skills demonstrating effective coaching, mentoring, team building and leadership.
- Expert project management skills for audit and consultative engagements as well as business projects and initiatives.
- Manages multiple projects.
- Ability to lead and drive change quickly and positively; viewed as a leader in change management for self and team.
- Provides strong mentoring to team to build broad IT and business acumen.
- Highly motivated and self-directed.
- Demonstrates sustained strong results and leadership against a broad set of Audit and business objectives.
- Strong communication and negotiation skills (clear, concise oral and written communication), effective with presentations for all levels of Audit and business management. Strong influencing skills within Audit and business management; adept at handling group dynamics.
- Excellent research, synthesis, and analytical skills and expert ability to articulate relationships and impacts between complex processes, internal and external issues and broad risk trends and provide strategic direction to others to provide quality analytics that result in actionable outcomes.
- Strong understanding of technical environment as it relates to audit metrics, plan execution, and resourcing.