The Director, International Logistics is responsible for International Operations and Trade Compliance for Ferguson. Accountable for global trade compliance, international freight management, trans-loading opportunities and exports; the Director, International Logistics role is hands-on but must also provide strategic direction to drive operational excellence in multi-channel distribution activities worldwide.
The holder of this role must build and maintain a flexible and adaptive set of resources which meet the specific needs of the organization, with the goal of driving strategic initiatives, continuously improving processes, reducing cost structures and facilitating growth. This individual will develop the strategy, build the organization and improve logistics service provider effectiveness.
- Position the company to respond to the growing needs of a diverse customer base by developing innovative transportation and supply chain solutions.
- Implement optimal commercial arrangements with 3PLs, forwarders, Customs brokers as well as transportation providers and vendors by quickly identifying priorities and driving transparency, speed, quality process, accountability and productivity.
- Develop strong partnerships and establish credibility with the internal team and adopt Ferguson's strong service-driven culture.
- Build a high performing organization; attract, develop, and retain the best talent possible within the relevant functions throughout the organization. Build credibility in the supply-chain at large.
- Work closely with the senior leadership team as well as all team members to ensure that global, national, regional and local transportation activities are fully aligned to support the organization's business strategy and plan.
- Aggressively support revenue growth and operating income while ensuring best-in-class delivery performance on behalf of business stakeholders and customers while employing a market-oriented, service mindset.
- Manage alliances with Logistics Service Providers through all facets of the sourcing lifecycle, maximizing leverage and ensuring top notch service and capacity at the right cost.
- Design a strategic blueprint to maximize the use of technology in addition to a network of strategic partners.
- Promulgate all transportation policies and procedures.
- Oversee all company global trade compliance and duty payment activity to ensure Ferguson and Wolseley are fully compliant.
- Be responsible for cost synergies and financial operating practices of all transportation purchasing activities.
- Ensure capacity and flawless execution capability in a highly complex, high volume environment. In addition, leverage internal infrastructure as an integrated part of the network.
- Architect new capabilities leveraging systems and business processes, while ensuring zero-defect implementations and change management.
- Serve as a practical thought leader who is able to maintain and build upon broad leadership expertise and capabilities in all logistics areas.
- Partner across the organization to develop and strengthen strategic alliances with customers.
- Create a culture in each facility that reflects Ferguson's values.
- Senior leader with a minimum of 15 years international transportation, trade compliance and supply-chain industry experience, gained in international organizations, of comparable scale and complexity.
- Bachelor's degree in Supply Chain Management, Logistics, Business or related field required. Master's degree desirable but not required.
- The right individual will be an expert in global transportation but should have deep and broad exposure to most elements of the supply-chain including: warehousing, distribution, trade compliance, inventory management, planning, and transportation.
- Well-versed in process improvement skills gained in operations-centric environments, where improvements are driven by creativity and innovation and can be shown via measurable KPIs.
- Respected for their track record of success developing and managing a world class transportation and logistics organization.
- Experienced working in global matrix organizations.
- Practically experienced migrating from legacy systems and implementing Transportation Management and other relevant trade compliance, productivity and supply chain visibility systems.
- Effective in a high volume, multi-channel, complex setting.
- Known for having a strong business acumen and analytical problem-solving skills.
- A thought leader in distribution, domestic and international transportation, import/export compliance.
Additional Skills and Abilities:
- A clear communicator and exceptional listener, who inspires others when providing cross-functional leadership.
- Ability to drive results in a fast-paced and demanding growth environment.
- This individual will be a true leader, having the ability to build strong internal and external high impact teams by leveraging strong interpersonal skills.
- A self-starter who can identify and lead strategic projects.
- A creative thinker – enjoys challenges and is solutions-oriented.
- Able to demonstrate success in attracting and developing superior talent. Committed to the success of others.
- Intellectually curious and has a passion for continuous learning.
- Able to assimilate into and actively promote the Ferguson culture.
- A strong customer-centric mindset.