Director Internal Audit
100 Arboretum Drive Suite 310, Portsmouth, New Hampshire 03801
Built on the principle that sustainable waste management is an integral part of our environmental and economic infrastructure, Wheelabrator Technologies is a vertically-integrated waste management company committed to delivering essential waste management solutions to the customers and communities we serve.
Wheelabrator is owned by Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets, a business within the Macquarie Asset Management division of Macquarie Group and a global alternative asset manager focused on real estate, infrastructure, agriculture and energy assets.
Our corporate office in Portsmouth, NH is looking for an experienced Director of Internal Audit. The Director of Internal Audit will report to the CEO or CFO. This individual will build, lead and direct the Company's internal audit function. The Director of Internal Audit is responsible for conducting reviews of financial and operational areas, testing of internal controls over financial reporting and managing special projects. This position will have regular interface with functional SME"s, the Audit Committee, CFO, Treasury, Accounting, Tax, Legal and external auditors.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Develop and drive the organizational design of the internal audit function and department.
- Provide overall direction and leadership of the internal audit function and ensure all aspects of the internal audit function operate at the highest levels.
- Deliver effective and clear audit reports. Ensure that audit issues are well defined, root causes are identified, and recommendations for improved internal controls and processes are communicated appropriately. As needed, provide leadership for the development and implementation of corrective action plans.
- Provide clear and concise oral and written communications details of the audit programs, objectives, and findings to senior management, external auditors, audited subjects, and regulatory authorities.
- Prepare internal audit updates for the Audit Committee and present to the Committee at quarterly meetings.
- Coordinate internal audit efforts with the Company's external auditors to ensure the most cost effective audit coverage.
- Manage the enterprise risk management (ERM) program and ensure top risks are assessed and mitigated where deemed necessary.
- Ensure the internal audit function (a key element of the enterprise risk management function) interfaces with other risk and oversight functions to ensure optimal coverage of the Company's key business risks.
- Maintain an independent yet supportive in-house assurance capability that provides comfort to the Company's management and Audit Committee as to the Company's overall control environment.
- Functional budget oversight responsibility.
- Required: Bachelor's degree in accounting/finance.
- Preferred: Master's degree in business administration and/or a related professional certification (e.g., CPA, CIA, CISA)
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- Possess a minimum of years 15 years of related experience within accounting, audit or finance.
- Thorough ability to understand the complexities of financial statements.
- The successful candidate will be an accomplished financial executive with unquestionable integrity.
- Prior experience building out an internal audit function.
- Strong business acumen and keen ability to quickly learn the Company financial standards, internal controls environment and reporting standards.
- Strong understanding of GAAP in a fast-paced environment.
- A hands-on, detail-oriented professional with excellent analytical, planning, evaluation, and implementation skills.
- A self-directed and independent individual, working with little direct supervision.
- Executive presence combined with a high degree of maturity and business judgment.
- An accomplished, results-oriented, collaborative manager and leader with exceptional communications, influencing skills and work ethic.