As part of Enterprise Audit Team at Unum, you will hone your audit and business expertise with a critical goal in mind – strengthening Unum’s control environment to the highest degree possible to position Unum for continued future success. In this professional level role, you will help lead talented auditors on dynamic and meaningful engagements, with frequent exposure to senior business leaders across the Company
As an Audit Director, you will be able to leverage your audit experience and passion for learning and growing on a daily basis. You will be given wide latitude of independent decision-making and will have ample opportunity to apply and expand your expertise in multiple areas including: continuous improvement and operational effectiveness; risk identification and control enhancements; and technology and operational change management. In this role, you will also have the ability to work with colleagues across the entire Company and have opportunities for additional internal and external exposure.
We are not looking for folks who just check the boxes. Our EnterpriseAudit vision at Unum is to be a valued business advisor and trusted assurance provider, providing forward looking insights that strengthen business performance through every engagement we complete.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads assigned staff on accurate completion of audit plan and other requested assurance, including the ongoing duties of the functional area of Audit.
- Actively participates in determining staffing needs of the team, including hiring and development of staff. Works with managers to coordinates the effective scheduling of Audit resources (internal and external) to ensure work is completed timely and in a cost effective manner.
- Acts as a mentor/teacher to raise the level of expertise within his/her team or other business partners.
- Reviews and updates existing auditing and administrative processes and procedures in an effort to streamline activities to increase productivity.
- Proactively identifies and researches risks to achievement of Enterprise objectives and develops the annual audit plan.
- Demonstrates broad ownership and accountability for the outcomes of the team for work supervised as well as his/her own efforts.
- Overall accountability for ensuring that testing plans effectively analyze and evaluate the most important and relevant risks and controls around Enterprise objectives.
- Review workpapers and provide review comments to audit staff.
- Analyzes workpapers and risk and controls, provides expert consulting support to senior management regarding conformance to corporate policies and procedures, technical inquiries, audit planning and financial, operational and compliance governance and controls. Proven Ability to interpret multi-disciplinary analyses.
- Leads Enterprise Audit business initiatives and projects.
- Ensures compliance with internal controls policies, Audit procedures and applicable external standards.
- Monitors industry trends, emerging risks and issues in support of both business partner and Audit plans and objectives; identifies and implements appropriate opportunities.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Develops strong partnerships with senior business management across a broad set of Enterprise business functions by providing strong contributions to risk management, governance and controls that deliver business value; participates in ongoing relationship management.
- Ability to clearly communicate broad business risk management, governance and control issues impacting business partners; proactively recommends the most appropriate/effective recommendations to decision makers including senior management.
- Utilizes more complex or creative ways of displaying supporting data and implements the most appropriate/effective resolution for issues involving the functional Audit area.
- Leads and has overall accountability for maintaining audit and internal control systems and audit programs and procedures that support the specific functional area (IA, IC, IT, ICA).
- Demonstrates and regularly applies an expert working knowledge of Unum’s products, services, technology and business processes (including customer, market and industry knowledge), his/her specific functional area, its issues and the technical skills required to support it.
- Relevant four yeardegree and professional certification preferred or relevant graduate degree, and at least seven years relevant work experience.
- Strong supervisory skills demonstrating effective coaching, mentoring, team building and leadership.
- Expert project management skills for audit and consultative engagements as well as business projects and initiatives.
- Manages multiple projects.
- Ability to lead and drive change quickly and positively; viewed as a leader in change management for self and team.
- Provides strong mentoring to team to build broad business acumen.
- Highly motivated and self-directed.
- Demonstrates sustained strong results and leadership against a broad set of Audit and business objectives.
- Strong communication and negotiation skills (clear, concise oral and written communication), effective with presentations for all levels of Audit and business management. Strong influencing skills within Audit and business management; adept at handling group dynamics.
- Excellent research and analytical skills and expert ability to articulate relationships and impacts between complex processes, internal and external issues and broad risk trends and provide strategic direction to others to provide quality analytics that that result in actionable outcomes.
- Strong understanding of technical environment as it relates to audit metrics, plan execution, and resourcing.
- Advanced EXCEL skills and proficient in Word and PowerPoint.
- Represents Unum’s ethical and professional standards at all times.