This position is primarily responsible for serving as the organization’s head of Internal Audit and is responsible for overseeing the annual Internal Audit plan which may include multiple projects in any function, process, or business unit within the Company such as business process reviews, Sarbanes-Oxley compliance, risk assessments, process improvement, and special investigations. Performs advanced level professional internal auditing work as a key component of the corporate governance structure and works independently with extensive latitude for initiative and independent judgment. Provides ongoing training, coaching and supervision to the Internal Audit staff and maintains organizational and professional ethical standards.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintains a professional audit staff with sufficient knowledge, skills, experience and professional certifications to meet the requirements of the Internal Audit plan.
- Prepares reports or other appropriate communication on the results of projects and provides recommendations for improvement, and comments on whether appropriate action has been taken or is planned on audit observations.
- Performs follow up on audit findings and reports on the timing and adequacy of corrective action.
- Issues periodic reports to the Audit Committee and management summarizing results of audit activities.
- Meets with the Audit Committee is separate executive session as required by the Audit Committee Charter, and at other times as deemed appropriate by members of the Audit Committee or as required by law or regulations.
- Communicates with the Chair of the Audit Committee as necessary on an informal basis.
- Assists the Compliance department in the investigation of suspected fraudulent activities within the organization and notify Beazer Homes senior management and the Audit Committee of the results of such investigation on a timely basis.
- Leads and/or assists with auditing various components of the financial statements.
- Develops and executes monitoring procedures over key financial accounts and regulatory requirements.
- Leads and/or assists with financial, operational and fraud risk assessments, business process reviews/improvements, Sarbanes-Oxley compliance and special internal investigations.
- Maintains auditor independent objectivity in managing and conducting the company’s audit initiatives and activities.
- Partners with outside internal audit advisory firm to design, develop and execute the annual Internal Audit plan.
Skills & Abilities
- Able to maintain a high level of confidentiality and professionalism
- Skill in developing multiple approaches to solving problems
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction
- Strong knowledge of Homebuilding industry
- Typical office environment
- Frequent travel to company locations and work sites is required (up to 50%)
- Frequent use of computing equipment is considered an essential part of the position