Bloom faces an unprecedented opportunity to change the world and the way companies utilize energy. We have recently launched a “game changing” solution called “Always on” that will help companies power their primary business operations without disruption with cleaner, more reliable electricity generated on-site with no combustion. We are looking for a Director, Installation Design to join our team in one of today’s most exciting technologies.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Lead a team of talented electrical and civil design engineers (including several with PE qualifications) to design installations of Bloom fuel cells that allow high-quality, timely and cost competitive execution.
- Drive the adoption and implementation of cutting edge approaches to installations that minimize cost and maximize quality and speed.
- Lead the group to set and meet or exceed performance goals that provide Bloom with competitive advantages in the marketplace.
- Continuously develop and maintain standard set of specifications for site designs which includes all aspects of “green” and “brown” installations.
- Collaborate with peers in the Installation group to ensure tight coordination and integration of all utility, regulatory, customer and permitting requirements.
- Coach, mentor and help the team achieve higher levels of performance in a rewarding and fun environment.
- Implement processes and procedures to systemically improve the quality of the design process with quantifiable validation and feedback loops
- Work closely with company R&D, Product management and other internal groups to provide inputs into the design of future generation products. Participate in the Phase Review process for product development.
- Create and execute strategic plans to ensure that the organization is prepared to address new business goals.
- Be a charismatic leader with good leadership skills including strong inter-personal skills to effectively manage and nourish relationships at senior levels with Customers, Suppliers, Utilities, and Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJ’s).
- Develop internal capability to sign and seal drawings for submission to AHJs
Skills and Experience:
- BS or MS in electrical, mechanical or civil engineering with 15+ years of hands on experience in power generation , distribution or other highly relevant industry.
- Highly motivated self-starter with experience in managing a large group engineers and contractors.
- Strong inter-personal and communication skills up, down and across the organization and outside the company including the ability to confidently and effectively define engineering requirements including to non-technical audiences.
- Knowledge of codes related to construction projects (i.e. IBC, NFPA, NEC, ASCE, AWWA)
- Some experience with utilities, permitting agencies and developing a permit drawing set would be helpful.
- Intellectual curiosity and drive to move the needle on excellence.