Director Insight Delivery, Commercial Lines - Business Intelligence
5 - 7 years experience • Accounting, Finance & Insurance
Overview of the Position
The Hartford’s Commercial Lines Business Intelligence & Analytics team is seeking a Business Intelligence Director to lead the Insight Delivery team.
The ideal candidate will have strong business acumen, superior technical ability, strong analytical skills, and be able to move seamlessly between fulfilling tactical requests and strategically driving the execution of the team vision.
The primary responsibilities of this role will be to move the insight delivery capabilities forward in the various Commercial Lines Business Segments, understanding and solving complex business problems, evolving BI best practices, bring analytical and statistical rigor to problem solving, and leading change management and adoption efforts as the CLBI Organization modernizes BI capabilities. The BI Director will also provide technical guidance and leadership to a team of BI Analysts and Data Engineers, manage and prioritize requests and work queues and promote the creation of well-designed BI solutions in an Agile methodology.
The candidate will work closely with our business and technical partners to understand and source available data, represent CLBI on projects, committees, and in general act as a BI subject matter expert and point of contact. Additionally, the candidate should have a strong interest in the business and an aptitude for working with business partners to understand and deliver solutions that meet their needs.
The candidate will think critically to tackle complex challenges, thrive in a fast-paced environment and be seeking a high growth opportunity where they will have an immediate impact.
- Lead a team of BI Analysts and Data Engineers advancing the BI and reporting capabilities of Commercial Lines
- Provide thought leadership to the Commercial Organization as we advance our Business Intelligence capabilities
- Business own the CLBI Tableau environment and Dashboard delivery
- Train and advise Analysts in Tableau development and visual best practices and Data Engineers in iterative prototyping and development
- Manage the demand intake process and work queue
- Designing and building reports, processes, and analyses with a variety of business intelligence technologies (e.g. SAS, SQL, MSBI, Tableau, Excel)
- Consulting with internal customers (e.g., Product, Underwriting, Sales & Distribution, Actuarial, Finance, Strategy) to develop analyses that help move the business forward
- Improving process efficiencies to spend less time on data preparation and reporting and more time on analytics
- Working with multiple data sources and platforms to create integrated views that enhances customer access to information and promotes a data driven culture
- Building and fostering relationships with Commercial’s business and technical partners
- Taking on the role of subject matter expert and BI Lead for Commercial data and projects
Experience & Skills
- Technical knowledge: 5-7 years’ experience with various tools used for data exploration and business intelligence (e.g. Toad, SQL, Oracle, SAS, R, Business Objects, Excel, MSBI, Tableau, Qlik, Alteryx)
- 3-5 years’ experience with Tableau Desktop or other modern BI tool
- 1-3 years of people management
- 1-3 years working in an Agile development environment
- Experience with applying statistics in an analytical environment
- Intermediate level SQL skills(3+ years)
- Strong conceptual knowledge of data warehouse design and usage
- Highly analytical person equally comfortable coding and interacting with business partners
- Analytical, creative, and innovative approach to solving problems
- Positive, people-oriented, and energetic attitude
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and independently
- Strong written and verbal communication to interact effectively with both technical and non-technical users at all levels of the organization
- Must be able to work on multiple concurrent projects
- Entrepreneurial spirit - self-motivated, strong sense of ownership/accountability, and results oriented with the ability to manage time and schedules effectively
- Deals with issues in a proactive manner
- Accepts challenges and change
- Willingness to learn new technologies/methodologies and apply them
- Ability to understand and follow guidelines and standards
- Proven negotiation ability
- Customer focus: strives to give customers the best service and takes the initiative to add value
- Knowledge of Small Commercial data landscape
- Knowledge of data warehouse concepts and development best practices
Behaviors at the Hartford
- Deliver Outcomes – Demonstrate a bias for speed and execution that serves our shareholders and customers
- Operate as a Team Player – Work together to drive solutions for the good of The Hartford
- Build Strong Partnerships – Demonstrate integrity and build trust with others
- Strive for Excellence – Motivate yourself and others to achieve high standards and continuously improve.