Reporting to the Global Vice President of Environmental, Health & Safety (EH&S), the Director North America Environmental Health and Safety (EHS), is responsible for assisting JELD-WEN NA leadership with implementing JELD-WEN’s EH&S Management system, developing and implementing effective injury prevention programs, reducing workers’ compensation costs and ensuring compliance with Global EH&S policies, standards and regulatory requirements.
The Director Environmental Health and Safety will partner closely with the NA VP of Operations and their team to strengthen the EH&S culture and improve performance. They are responsible for helping to build consistency throughout the company by providing functional/technical expertise to the NA operations.
The successful candidate must have experience with leading a team of EH&S professionals, EH&S management system implementation, leading incident investigations, training management and hourly personnel, conducting EH&S audits and driving cultural change. Experience developing and implementing forward thinking processes that have enhanced the EH&S culture, reduced serious injuries and fatalities, and demonstrated improved performance are essential.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with the development and implementation of JELD-WEN’s Environmental, Health & Safety (EH&S) Management System including the EH&S self-assessment process
- Assist with the development of JELD-WEN’s Global EH&S policies, standards, and model programs
- Assist with the development and delivery of JELD-WEN’s EH&S education and training programs, e.g. EH&S Leadership training, EH&S 101 for site EH&S personnel, (monthly, weekly, and annual training) etc.
- Assist with developing JELD-WEN’s Serious Injury & Fatality (SIF) prevention initiatives
- Assist sites with investigating Serious Injuries & Fatalities (SIFs) and potential SIFs, and managing the SIF and PSIF review and corrective actions process
- Assist with (Enterprise-wide Risk Assessment, and Human and Organizational Performance (HOP), initiatives
- Develop and implement the NA and site-specific injury reduction plans
- Assist the Global V.P. of Environmental, Health & Safety during M&A activity and acquisition integration activities
- Participate in JELD-WEN Environmental, Health & Safety audits as required
- Provide EH&S updates to the Global V.P EH&S and NA Senior Leadership
- Assist with JELD-WEN EH&S Governance, and create the NA EH&S Leadership Council
- Analyze EH&S data for trends and develop improvement plans
- Assist sites with preparing and responding to regulatory inquiries/notices of violations by federal, state, provincial and governmental safety, and health authorities
- Routinely visit assigned facilities to provide environmental, health & safety compliance assistance and coaching and assess compliance with applicable EH&S regulations and company policies and standards.
- Assist applicable sites with process safety management
- Represent the NA EH&S function on JELD-WEN’s Global EH&S Leadership Council
- Manage a team of 4 to 8 regional environmental and health & safety managers.
- BS Safety Engineering, Safety Sciences, Safety Management, Engineering or similar
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP), or Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) preferred
- 10 plus years of environmental, health & safety management experience in multi-location manufacturing/industrial environment, with a minimum of 3 years of experience leading an EH&S team
- Experience developing and implementing EH&S Management Systems, e.g. ISO 14001, ANSI Z-10, OSHAS 18001, or ISO 45001
- Experience using web based EH&S information and data management systems to support EH&S
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Strong presentation, training and facilitation skills are essential
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Exemplary customer service skills and attention to detail
- Experience implementing “new view” S&H programs such as Human & Organizational Performance desired
- Advanced to expert skills using Minitab, and the Microsoft suite, including Excel, PowerPoint, and Access databases
- Significant knowledge of U.S. and International Environmental, Health & Safety laws and regulations desired
- Experience with LEAN and Continuous Improvement manufacturing principles
- Up to 50% overnight and international travel required