PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Drives the development and rollout of human resources initiatives to multiple business lines or large site to support culture change to achieve business goals. Participates as a member of business or site leadership team. Uses HR data to drive and support management decisions. Manages members of an HR department in the delivery of HR services to assigned business lines or large site. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, employment, employee development, compensation and rewards, employee relations, and personnel administration. Participates on cross-organization task teams.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides strategic leadership of short- and long-term goals through the use of thoughtful techniques in the communication of the company’s mission and core values as a means to implement positive change and/or create organizational structure within the assigned business unit(s).
- Provides ongoing review and makes recommendations to business and functional leadership to ensure that talent management policies, procedures, and processes are current, aligned with, and in support of business strategies and initiatives.
- Strategic leader with broad-based knowledge in individual departments, and strong knowledge of industry practices and business principles. Works on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth knowledge of the company.
- Partners with corporate recruiting to develop recruitment strategy and employee selection process according to standard recruitment and employment practices and processes.
- Develops, interprets, and guides managers on application of policies and employee handbook provisions.
- Maintains responsibility for agency compliance with federal and state legislation pertaining to all personnel matters.
- Communicates changes in agency personnel policies and procedures and ensures proper compliance is followed.
- Assists executive management in the annual review, preparation, and administration of agency wage and salary program.
- Coordinates or conducts exit interviews to determine reasons behind separation.
- Consults with legal counsel as appropriate, or as directed, on personnel matters.
- Works directly with department managers to assist them in carrying out their responsibilities on personnel matters.
- Develops and implements best in class policies, programs, services, including but not limited to: workforce planning; employee relations and communications; training, development, and succession planning; recruitment, talent management, and retention; compensation and benefits; employment practices, legal compliance and procedures.
- Ensures the delivery of outstanding service in the areas of employee engagement, and organizational change and improvement.
- Ensures budgets and schedules are within company requirements with significant organizational responsibility for the overall control of planning, staffing, budgeting, expense priority management, and recommendation and implementation changes of current methods.
- Reviews and complies with the Code of Business Conduct and all applicable company policies and procedures, local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
- Ensures all employees within the assigned team(s) understand and comply with the Code of Business Conduct and all applicable company policies and procedures, local, state and federal laws and regulations; establishing and maintaining effective internal systems and controls to promote compliance.
- Participates with other senior managers to establish strategic plans and objectives. Develops strategies for direct departments, and contributes to the development of divisional/business unit strategies.
- Regularly interacts with executives, senior management, and/or major customers. Interactions frequently require special skills such as negotiating or influencing customers and/or senior level leaders in matters of significance to the organization.
- Interacts with all levels within the organization to manage functional area. Overall responsibility for hiring, coaching, and counseling employees, including performance reviews, disciplinary action and terminations.
- Provides technical guidance.
- Assists with various projects as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
Additional responsibilities may include focus on one or more departments or locations. See applicable addendum for department or location specific functions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Responsible for the direct supervision of various levels of Human Resources staff.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Advanced Degree preferred.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- Minimum 10+ years of related Human Resources experience; proven success as a business partner.
- 5+ years of experience as a manager; or 5+ years of experience in a senior managerial role.
- Strong management skills with the ability to lead cohesive and productive teams.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of management through diplomacy and tact.
- SHRM Certification (SHRM-SCP, SHRM-CP) is desirable, or a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Develops, interprets and guides managers on application of policies and employee handbook provisions.
- Must stay current with the general trends in employment and agency law, the labor market and HR “best practices”.
- Proficient with PCs and Microsoft Office applications.
- Leads with enthusiasm and positively to inspire and motivate staff, stakeholders, and executive management.
- Experience in Federal, State, and local employment, wage and salary laws and regulations; union experience.
- Experience executing effective compensation and benefits plans.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to quickly adapt and be a champion of change.
- Ability to produce and deliver effective presentations to a variety of audiences.
- Superior collaboration skills and ability to manage cross-functional relationships within the organization. Demonstrated success cultivating, negotiating, and building business partnerships.
- Ability to quickly establish credibility and engage others to ensure effective solutions.