Mindshare is a global media agency network with billings in excess of US$34.5 billion (source: RECMA). The network consists of more than 7,000 employees, in 116 offices across 86 countries spread throughout North America, Latin America, Europe, Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. We are a next generation marketing services agency, who believes brands aren’t simply driven by an idea or ideals. A brand’s value is driven through a series of exchanges with people.
This belief frames the philosophy that differentiates Mindshare today – that we can constantly improve consumer experiences and brand outcomes by harnessing vast sources of data to derive insights that can then be actioned against in real-time. This is adaptive marketing, and it has performance in its DNA. To fuel this, we have developed a unique planning approach called Planning 4 Agility and proprietary operating system known as the Loop to fuse data and creativity in every communications plan and quickly map insights to opportunities in the moment. As a result, we aim to make media a competitive advantage for our clients both now and in the future. Mindshare is part of GroupM, which oversees the media investment management sector for WPP, the world’s leading communications services group.
Department & Job Summary – Strategic Planning, NA
Media Planners at Mindshare are part psychologists, part scientists, part artists, part entrepreneurs, and part politicians. We strategize how brands should communicate with people across the myriad of media channels, and how to do that differently from every other brand.
The Director of Strategic Planning, NA, in partnership with the Managing Director, is responsible for managing senior client relationships on a critical account to the agency. They ensure the integration and process flow throughout Strategic Planning, Investment, and Analytics functions in NA, working closely with their Investment and IAT partners.
They set the tone for the engagement by encouraging a deep passion for and understanding of the brand and the Asset Management/ Financial Services category. The Director of Strategic Planning will support the Managing Director in driving an agenda of best practices sharing, innovation, and strategic thinking. This agenda will be set in partnership with the global media client(s) and will be optimized regularly based on business dynamics. The Director of Strategic Planning is responsible for feeding into this global agenda: adding NA context and priorities given it is the largest market. Given the digital centricity of the account, the Director should have a strong background in digital media strategy, and should be able to closely partner with the Digital Investment Director.
• From a strategic standpoint, key responsibilities will be to guide teams in media strategy; support/drive development of key strategic media partnerships and negotiations; provide strategic marketplace, industry, and category intelligence regularly; build/maintain productive relationships with marketing community leaders at client and key media partners
• The Director will work closely with IAT partners to help drive the client’s agenda
• The Director will also mentor mid-level supervisory staff
What we love about this position:
1. Ability to work with wide variety of Mindshare specialty teams –we have an exemplary group of specialty teams including marketing sciences, tech + innovation, agility in planning, etc. With the wide variety of business needs on this account, there are countless opportunities to seek input from the brilliance of the specialty services we have within the agency.
2. Innovation at the heart of everything: this is a client who is actively seeking to disrupt the category they operate in. Smart/friendly clients wanting to drive change + partner means the opportunities for collaboration and creative thinking are huge.
3. Agility + data at the heart of everything we do: adaptive, data-driven marketing is the most important thing for this client. This means spearheading use of Data & insights generation tools proprietary to the agency, incorporating Planning for Agility (our adaptive and real-time planning suite) into the regular media planning cycle, and continuing sophistication in digital activation including programmatic, search, and advanced video.
The leadership is fiercely committed to investing time and effort in talent growth and retention. It’s an evolving team, so this role comes with the opportunity to shape the relationship, processes and team to help drive the business forward.
How we’ll grow together:
This role will have high exposure within the Mindshare/GroupM world as this client is part of Mindshare’s Global FAST community – at the forefront of transforming our agency’s approach to data-driven marketing, and the opportunity to work with some of the biggest players in the media and tech ecosystem.
Meat and Potatoes:
The Director of Strategic Planning, NA is a digital native with a breadth of understanding of programmatic, addressable, and performance media. They understand and value the principles of performance marketing, but understand that consumer journeys are dynamic and delivering against those journeys most effectively requires a full-funnel approach to marketing (Brand and Performance.
They are an effective communicator and a proven problem-solver. They have the confidence and experience to quickly and effectively tackle complex marketing and media challenges.
Directly responsible for an extensive understanding of the Brand and Asset Management/ Financial Services Category dynamics, including the primary investment vehicles and products, key players in the competitive set (and aspirational set) and the short- and long-term challenges - - to the standard of commanding respect as a lead business partner.
Develops and maintains senior client relationships. Attends, presents and provides counsel at all significant agency-client media meetings.
Directly responsible for overall media planning product. Provides leadership in developing, negotiating, and implementing creative media solutions. Supervises a group of media planning professionals responsible for media plan development. Key day-to-day implementation contact for the Client Service and Leadership Team.
• Set communications goals for each campaign or plan
• Determines appropriate and detailed media mix for plan implementation
• Determines final budget allocation by medium, informed by any research or insight driven by media planning and taking into account the channel contact plan / brief
Leads IAT (inter agency team) model in NA: confer and collaborate with outside creative advertising agencies and marketing teams to ensuring thoughtful, collaborative, insight-driven, integrated plans. Helps develop interagency POVs on marketing challenges around brand building, role of media and advertising, and communications strategy. Serves as a key liaison among various media groups that contribute to the overall media plan development process.
What you’ve already conquered:
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably with a concentration in advertising, marketing, business administration, and communications
• Minimum of eight years’ experience preferred
• Broad background, exposure to and experience in the entire research, planning and implementation process
• Knowledgeable about key client personnel, issues, processes, goals and requirement
• Digital media