The role of the Director, HR Operations is to manage the systems transactions and processes involved in providing support to Univar Solutions Employees throughout the employee life cycle Working in collaboration with the HR organization as well as the Shared Services organization, this position will provide oversight to US employee support services and gross to net cycle including payroll with a strategic focus to expand these services to support Univar Solutions employees.
- Operational reporting line to VP of Shared Services and functional reporting line to VP of Total Rewards & Well-Being
- Overall management responsibility for HR Support Services, Benefits operations and Payroll teams
- Direct contract management of third-party providers of Benefits and Payroll services and platforms
- Provide support and guidance to HR Operations functions and act as the escalation point for the HR Operations Team.
- Collaborate regularly with Business Managers to gather market intelligence and stakeholder feedback, identifying other areas of need to ensure effective service delivery
- Attend regular meetings with Shared Services Leadership and HR leadership to review customer satisfaction and identify future service development
- Ensure the accuracy, timeliness, and legal and tax compliance of payroll processing
- Streamline transactional service delivery through automating more of the employee lifecycle, removing duplication, unnecessary steps/checks and define respective roles and responsibilities with greater clarity
- Collaborate with the HR Systems team to provide feedback and post implementation supporting the management of the new HR/Payroll system
- Ensure that transactional employee services routines are managed well and in the most efficient way possible, and introduce regular quality checks on key workflows
- Provide a pro-active and high-quality HR Shared Service ensuring all Service Level Agreements and KPi’s are met.
- Manage and negotiate contracts with third party suppliers to ensure competitive pricing, service levels, and contract terms that deliver optimal value for Univar Solutions
- In conjunction with the Payroll Services Manager and third-party providers, develop, implement and review processes to monitor and reduce error rate and under/overpayment of employees.
- Maximize the automation of processes within the Hire to Retire cycle
- Evaluate opportunities to incorporate additional functions into the HR Shared Services as well as opportunities for global expansion of the capabilities
- Collate and prepare KPI information, reports, newsletters and bulletins for management and stakeholders as required; ensure the effective maintenance of all appropriate records, including HR systems and other databases.
- Develop, implement and review appropriate policies and procedures to comply with legislative requirements and relevant terms and conditions.
- Performs other related duties as required or requested.
- Responsible for annual budget oversight for the HR Operations function including management of Third-party vendor contracts and costs.
- Manage the HR Operations within Shared Services function creating a ‘one team’ ethos to ensure the effective, efficient, timely and accurate support of the Univar Solutions employee life-cycle
- Provide management support to the Employee Support Services, Benefits Operations and Payroll Teams through regular meetings, performance management, and coaching and development.
- Manage the teams work plan and improvement projects ensuring the co-ordination and allocation of resources, ensuring ongoing quality assurance and continuous improvement.
- Act as liaison with HR Organization and Shared Services to ensure alignment of objectives
- Work closely with HR Business Partners and HR Business Solutions team to improve how we manage HR transactions based on creating process efficiencies, feedback from customers and ongoing reviewEnsure effective coordination and alignment between payroll administration and HR employee services and systems.
- Bachelor’s Degree (or related equivalent experience) required; Master’s degree preferred
- 15+ years of HR experience, including 7-10 years of program management and operations experience in a high speed, high growth, technology-based environment
- Advanced project management experience in handling multiple projects at once with competing priorities
- Demonstrated experience supporting at large employees base across multiple countries
- Broad-based and progressive management/operations experience tied to establishing and managing the operations of a comprehensive shared services center.
- Significant experience in establishing and managing a shared services operation or similar operation.
- 5+ years’ experience managing employees, including recruiting, retaining and supervising staff
- Experience managing and monitoring budgets and using data to identify efficiencies.
- Substantial progressive management/operations experience, including knowledge of HR systems, procurement and accounting practices.
- Demonstrated understanding and experience in applying process improvement methods.
- Demonstrated experience reporting to and providing actionable information to governance organizations as well as other external stakeholders.
- Experience as a change agent with strong collaboration and communication skills.
- Ability to travel to multiple locations locally or internationally as needed
- Six Sigma or Lean certification or experienced in Six Sigma principles
- SHRM Certified
- CTPRP (Certified Third-Party Risk Professional)
- Significant experience in establishing and managing an HR shared services operation
- Strong experience in handling HR & Payroll Vendors at a global scale along with consulting mindset.
- Experience with leading and implementation of large transformational initiatives
- Strong knowledge of HR & Payroll practices and procedures
- Demonstrated experience managing remote teams
- Proven track record in implementing and scaling HR processes, operations and systems experience strongly preferred
- Experience building cross-functional partnerships and influencing stakeholders across the organization to act without having a direct reporting relationship
- Problem solver, able to troubleshoot issues independently or escalate when necessary; sense of accountability and sound professional judgment
- Proven analytical capabilities; experience with large amounts of data and in developing audit reports, metrics, and reporting mechanisms
- Experience building technology and people operations compliance programs and processes
- Organized, extremely detail oriented and execution focused
- Comfortable as a hands-on manager and willing to roll up your sleeves to get things done
- Drive to create an environment of continuous improvement and innovation.
- Ability to lead major project initiations from inception to conclusion, including but not limited to strategy, requirements definition, solutions design, planning, procurement, implementation, operation and lessons learned.
- Understanding of customer support technologies, including CRM platforms, call center software, workforce management software, knowledge bases, forums, and other ERP and web-based computing tools.
- Experience in and comfort with working in a fast paced, rapidly growing and dynamic organization.
- Ability to achieve goals through influencing, partnering and developing productive relationships with senior leadership and line managers across the business.