As a Human Resources Business Partner/Change Consultant at Unum, you will play a critical dual role on the HR Business Support team. You will be an essential part of the organization’s leadership team uniting with senior business leaders to understand the work they do, the challenges they face, and the goals they are working to achieve today and in the future. You will use that knowledge to guide, challenge and coach them to ensure they have the talent capabilities needed to drive and support their business objectives.
In addition to influencing leadership on organizational design, talent development and new business solutions, you will also help develop and drive our approach to change delivery and capability building across a variety of change initiatives at Unum US. You will provide input into the Business’ change management plans and will act as a coach to business change leads, senior leaders and managers in helping them fulfill their change leadership roles. The impact of change on an organization is of utmost importance to you and you approach this purposely and thoughtfully.
A successful candidate for this role brings a dynamic and collaborative approach to everything you do. You exemplify what it means to be a partner, with your HR colleagues, peers and the teams you support, all of whom seek you out for your guidance and assistance. You enjoy working with people across the company, sharing your skills, best practices, and an ability to have fun.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop in some cases, and implement in other cases, HR strategies and action plans that are aligned to and drive achievement of business objectives. This may be accomplished by leveraging and integrating key HR levers, including organizational design, workforce planning, talent data and analytics, talent acquisition, performance management, identification of employee potential and succession, total rewards, talent development and employee engagement.
- Drive talents plans aligned with and provide input into the organization’s change management plans, including stakeholder analyses, communications and training plans, risk identification and mitigation plans, transition plans, and measures of success.
- Act as a coach and advisor to business change leads, senior leaders and managers to help them fulfill their change leadership roles and build change agility in the organization.
- Use data and analytics to drive talent discussions and influence the organization.
- Help drive enterprise HR initiatives in the organization and ensure the organization’s talent plans align with enterprise-wide HR strategies and programs, working closely with other HR Partners (Staffing, Benefits, Training, Compensation, Employee Relations) as needed.
- Identify and share strategies and solutions that may be implemented in other business areas to improve organizational effectiveness with business heads and HR colleagues; drive implementation where appropriate.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Strong experience (5-7 years) in the field of HR, with a solid knowledge of all HR functions as key business levers.
- A minimum of 3 years of change management experience focusing on the people side of change. Specific change events may include workplace transformation, M&A, outsourcing, organizational restructuring, customer experience transformation, and other changes affecting large numbers of employees.
- Demonstrated success as an internal consultant, understanding the broad picture, creating positive outcomes.
- Able to build credibility with all levels of management quickly through demonstrated expertise, self-confidence, influencing skills, and insight.
- Strong data analysis skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Demonstrated success analyzing organizational issues and implementing appropriate solutions.
- Skilled as a facilitator.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with senior management.
- Strong collaboration skills across business areas and within HR.
- Ability to maintain appropriate balance between business demands and priorities of the HR organization.
- Ability to manage multiple, competing priorities.
- Strong service orientation.
- Seen as positive and a leader by colleagues.