Director, HIM - Hospital Onsite
Less than 5 years experience • Professional, Scientific & Technical Services
The Director, Health Information Management is responsible for managing all functions within Health Information Management and coordinating effective & efficient process improvement activities in accordance with JCAHO and legal requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans, directs, organizes, and controls all activities of the HIM department.
- Establishes and communicates clear departmental goals, job expectations and performance standards to staff.
- Actively participates in Revenue Cycle team meetings, communicates issues, and recommends process improvements.
- Develops and manages process improvement activities and quality control measures for all areas of HIM.
- Plans, implements, and coordinates data storage and retrieval systems for information management and facilitates computerization of medical information.
- Regularly monitors the security and appropriate handling of all patient records to ensure HIPAA compliance.
- Develops and implements record flow and control systems for the department and hospital.
- Assists in coordination of information management planning, Joint Commission and other accreditation or regulatory compliance in cooperation with other departments.
- Actively directs or participates in the evaluation, selection, and purchase of health information systems.
- Provides ongoing education and training to the healthcare system employees in areas relevant to health information management policies and procedures.
- Acts as a liaison between teams, departments, administration and the medical staff.
- Maintains a good working relationship with physicians, case management, registration, billing office, and clinical areas and works to resolve issues.
- Stays current with HIM trends, relevant rules, regulations, and directives from regulatory agencies and third-party payers.
- RHIA or RHIT.
- 3+ years’ experience in a Health Information Management Director role preferred.
- Knowledge of Health Information systems & healthcare applications.
Questions regarding this position, please contact Chris Rivera (Manager, Talent Acquisition) at (714) 361-6836
- Strong conceptual, as well as quantitative and qualitative analytical skills
- Work as a member of a team as well as be a self-motivator with ability to work independently
- Constantly operates a computer and other office equipment to coordinate work
- Frequently travels by airplane, train or car as necessary to perform work at another location
- Regularly uses close visual acuity and operates computer equipment to prepare and analyze and transmit data
- Generally works in an office environment