The Director, Health Information Services (HIS) and Coding is responsible for the corporate strategic direction and operational performance of Health Information Services (HIS), including coding, clinical documentation improvement, release of information, transcription, chart completion, enterprise master patient index, document management, medical record integrity, and information governance.
They provide operational leadership to manage and maintain efficient HIS processes and best practice utilization of the electronic medical record and related technology. They also implement policies and procedures to ensure compliance with federal and state regulations, coding and billing guidelines.
This leader serves as a subject matter expert and advisor to other department leaders, the clinical staff and physicians. They proactively support the efforts that ensure delivery of safe patient care and services and promote a safe environment at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta.
The Director, HIS and Coding reports to the Vice President of Revenue Cycle and leads a large team of professionals to manage and maintain efficient coding processes, as well as HIS operations throughout the organization.
- Oversees consistency in operational processes, compliance with policies and regulations and outcomes across Health Information Services, Hospital and Physician Coding, and Clinical Documentation Improvement.
- Oversees Health Information Services, Hospital and Physician Coding, and Clinical Documentation Improvement Managers and personnel to promote steady work flow, productivity, quality, timeliness, and attainment of system and departmental performance goals.
- Ensures compliance for consistent quality coding at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta by implementing education and monitoring programs that support, validate, and provide feedback on coding accuracy and documentation adequacy.
- Coordinates with the IS&T Department to promote and implement optimal use of the electronic medical record, system updates and integration of new technology as needed.
- Prepares and updates strategic and operational Health Information Services plans with the VP of Revenue Cycle, with input from appropriate operational and support areas.
- Provides indirect leadership to all coding areas which presently do not have direct reporting or accountability-by being the coding and billing compliance resource for the hospital system.
- Works collaboratively and proactively with other department leaders, using key performance indicators to identify trends and opportunities, facilitating work groups, and implementing improvements in performance and outcomes. .
- Ensures the appropriate dissemination and communication of regulation, policy and guideline changes related to health information services, coding and clinical documentation.
- Develops staff performance expectations, goals and metrics. Measures and communicates achievement throughout the year, and makes operational adjustments as needed.
- Develops operating and capital budgets for area of responsibility and monitors performance against budget, developing action plans as needed to address variances.
- Responsible for all aspects of managing and leading a team including: interviewing, hiring, training, developing, directing work and processes, managing performance, recognizing, and rewarding employees.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS & ABILITIES*
- Working knowledge of federal, state and local regulatory requirements, including HIPAA, CMS and Joint Commission, as it relates to Medical Records, Coding and Clinical Documentation.
- Demonstrated knowledge of electronic medical record systems, medical record practice and technology, scope of health information services, complete and accurate clinical documentation, as well as coding and billing practices in all healthcare settings and for all healthcare disciplines.
- Ability to partner constructively with hospital service line and physician leaders, as well as otherhealthcare practitioners.
- Demonstrated experience in developing processes, procedures and policies that positively impact efficiencies.
- Strong management, organizational, interpersonal, communication, teaching and presentation skills.
- Strong problem solving, listening, staff development and time management skills.
- Minimum of 7 years of leadership experience in hospital Health Information Management.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Record Administration, Health Information Management, or related health care field.
- Active RHIA or RHIT certification required.
- MBA or MHA degree
- Active CCS (Certified Coding Specialist) CCS-P and/or CPC certification
- Active CDIP certification
- Knowledge of coding and/or auditing Physician Practices
- Experience with a hospital clinical documentation improvement program
- Hands on experience with EPIC
Requisition #: 17196