The Director of Government and External Relations will manage successful relations at all levels of government and among external constituents of importance in order to implement the state and federal public policy and advocacy agenda of Bon Secours Mercy Health for his/her assigned geographic region. The Director will support impact analyses of priorities with internal subject matter experts to ensure evidence-based approaches to developing legislative, regulatory and community solutions on matters affecting delivery of care and advocacy priorities.
- Support system-wide legislative, regulatory and advocacy priorities by state through effective internal and external relations management, including, but not limited to government officials at the state level including the Ohio and Kentucky Markets
- Manage government relations/advocacy agenda by state as directed and ensure implementation of system and local priorities by region with internal key stakeholders.
- Foster and influence relationships throughout the state and in concert with internal regional stakeholders that result in favorable legislative, regulatory and advocacy outcomes, and build strategic alliances to augment system growth.
- Enhance Bon Secours Mercy Health's public reputation as a relied upon and trusted resource by identifying public and private sector community-based interfaces and partnerships throughout service areas.
- Provide legislative, regulatory and health industry intelligence to inform impact analyses in concert with internal content experts that lead to politically viable solutions for delivery system.
- Identify opportunities to coordinate appropriate Advocacy interface with internal Mission leader(s) in regional coalitions and partnerships, and to assure adequate representation of the ministry on related issues in the community.
- Create effective grass-tops and grassroots support and mobilization, and strong trade association and business organization relations with an emphasis on those organizations where BSMH personnel serve in a board or committee capacity.
- Identify opportunities to organize grass-tops network, and mobilize internal grassroots support for legislative and advocacy issues when appropriate.
- Champion internal process to develop action plan for executive and physician engagement on government matters, as well as governmental, industry trade / business organization, and community boards of interest.
- Partner with internal Foundation personnel to identify local, state and federal grant opportunities to address various community health needs.
- Coordinate with local market advocacy outreach and education strategies for social impact on community health and legislative policy issues.
- Maintain registration as a state lobbyist on behalf of BSMH and ensure compliance of all related reporting requirements.
- Required: Bachelor's Degree: Political Science, Public Policy, Public Administration, Journalism or related degree.
- Preferred: Master's Degree: JD, MBA, MPA, MPH, MPS
- Minimum Years and Type of Experience 5-7 years in an external relations capacity
- Effective communicator with excellent interpersonal relationship skills, understanding of government, and strategic agility to collaborate in a complex organization
- Analytical and business acumen (healthcare experience a plus), and adaptable to change