Salesforce, the Customer Success Platform and world's #1 CRM, empowers companies to connect with their customers in a whole new way. The company was founded on three disruptive ideas: a new technology model in cloud computing, a pay-as-you-go business model, and a new integrated corporate philanthropy model. These founding principles have taken our company to great heights, including being named one of Forbes’s “World’s Most Innovative Company” five years in a row and one of Fortune’s “100 Best Companies to Work For” eight years in a row. We are the fastest growing of the top 10 enterprise software companies, and this level of growth equals incredible opportunities to grow a career at Salesforce. Together, with our whole Ohana (Hawaiian for "family") made up of our employees, customers, partners and communities, we are working to improve the state of the world.
This is an amazing opportunity to work with a best in class Real Estate team and lead global workplace design for a fast-growth company that has been named “Innovator of the Decade” by Forbes.
At Salesforce, real estate is more than architecture and design. It's about creating a 'home' that has a positive impact on all of our key stakeholders, including employees, partners, customers, communities and the environment. Our offices are a physical expression of our company values. The Senior Director of Global Workplace Design is responsible for driving the Salesforce design standards across our entire real estate portfolio, from named Salesforce Towers to smaller offices in emerging markets. This is an exciting position to have a direct impact on Salesforce work environments around the world, and influence how the brand is received in global markets.
Directing a deep bench of world-class architects and interior designers, this individual must be experienced at leading project design cycles, updating design changes and incorporating them into the documented standards, and delivered design phases on time, on budget. Ideal background includes corporate real estate interiors and design standards, with strong knowledge of fixtures, finishes, furniture, space planning and custom elements. Must have direct experience of the construction process including all phases from initial design to build-out to first day of business; essential for navigating and managing the changes and transitions between all phases.
Stakeholders include a wide range of functions and levels, including architects, design firms, and Salesforce project managers, brand experts, security, IT and more.
A core responsibility of this role is to ensure the global Salesforce design standards are kept current and updated, on a real-time basis, by the relevant architects and designers. This includes direct accountability for the current 2200-page online guidelines that have been defined but require constant updating; including regular training sessions to all involved internal teams and external firms.
- Manage the outsourced partners of architects, designers, decorators, furniture dealers, furniture manufacturers and finishes manufacturers to ensure best in class service. Manage a small internal design team.
- Oversee the design direction for all new global build-outs, breakthrough spaces, refresh projects, acquisition integration projects, new design models and various other complex projects
- Develop a continuous design forum with the architects, designers, project coordinators and project directors to communicate design directions and changes on an on-going basis, including regular design revisions and approval cycles until final design is ready for implementation
- Lead the ongoing management of the online Salesforce design standards guidebook for our global campus with all relevant parties – architecture, furniture, finishes, millwork, space layout, space types and functions, branding integration, plants, signage, accessories, IT/AV, security, accessibility, sustainability, etc.
- Ensure that the Salesforce design standards guidebook continues to incorporate a global consistency that is innovative, flexible and adheres to the corporate brand and culture while being nimble to adjust based on internal customer feedback, functional satisfaction and changes in brand strategy.
- Lead the evolution of workplace design and manage the changes within the design process to ensure alignment with all of the relevant parties and incorporation into the design standards guidebook.
- Research, explore and report out on the best practices of innovative design approaches and solutions from other companies and sources of inspiration.
- Work with the Procurement team to ensure that the furniture and finishes specifications adhere to appropriate cost models, achieve cost savings and can be globally sourced and implemented.
- Partner with the sustainability team to ensure that products and finishes are assessed and selected based on the highest rating of green features plus partner with them on the healthy materials assessment.
- Partner with the accessibility team to ensure that design methodology incorporates a higher standard for accessibility than the current ADA code.
- Work with the operations lead by participating in the development of workplace satisfaction survey questions and share the findings with the design partners to integrate the changes into the design standards.
- Work with the Planning and Strategy team to ensure that their initiatives, including open seating, is supported within the physical layout.
- Work with the Transaction team to ensure that future potential office spaces and buildings align with the brand, design and physical space layout by participating in building walk-throughs prior to selection.
- Continuously train the Real Estate Workplace Services teams and external partners on a quarterly basis to ensure the alignment on the design standards.
- Manage a small internal team and take them to the next level, set priorities, allocate resources, take accountability and achieve results
- Requires a degree or diploma in Interior Design, Architecture or related field. Experience:
- Ideal experience requires 15+ years of experience in interior architecture or design firms and/or 10+ years of experience within a Real Estate & Workplace Services organization at a major corporation (technology company preferred).
- Strong design sense that can be leveraged to represent the Salesforce design standards and be the leading voice for bringing the brand to life in our workspaces
- Extremely fast-paced working environment requires excellent communication, time management and presentation skills.
- Can bring people with diverse opinions together by using a strong business acumen, design sensibilities, project knowledge and ability to balance priorities and strategies
- Can manage many tasks within constrained time frames resulting in an aligned design direction
- Must exhibit initiative in recognizing gaps in approach and develop solutions to fill those gaps in expedited time frames
- Ability to be flexible and change courses quickly
- Must have a strong understanding of the corporate culture and how to successfully create innovative approaches that achieve successful results within that culture
- Has strong presentation skills and feels comfortable speaking in front of large groups
- Inspires and engages openly and with integrity. Proven ability to manage a team and make them successful
- High credibility, integrity and adaptability are hallmarks of their leadership style; they will quickly establish rapport and build productive relationships with peers and superiors and promote a high energy, collaborative environment
- Leaders must show an interest in professional development and inspire a love of learning in others