With over 130 store and warehouse locations and more than 7,500 associates across the U.S. and Canada, Crate and Barrel is a dynamic and growing multi-channel furniture and housewares retailer. So we can continue to help others love how they live in moments that matter, the iconic brand is looking for a driven and passionate professional to raise the bar and join our Supply Chain department as a Director, Global Transportation, located in our Northbrook, IL corporate office.
This position manages and leads all aspects of the Global Transportation Organization consisting of domestic and international freight movement, network strategy, financials, and overall service metrics in support of the company defined guidelines.
- Be accountable for carrier performance, including setting service expectations, monitoring service and financial performance and holding carriers accountable.
- Oversee carrier agreements, including terms and rates.
- Develop new ideas into formal projects, including writing business case, developing return on investment, establishing implementation strategy, and executing change.
- Manage Transportation team projects and workload; collaborate with associates within Transportation and cross-functionally to accomplish tasks and delegate responsibilities as needed.
- Oversee annual request for proposal (RFP) process for ocean, less than truckload, intermodal, trailer load and parcel services; interview existing and new carriers for consideration for RFP, select carriers based on service, equipment availability, safety scores, geographic needs, lane fit and expense.
- Research, test and implement technology tools to improve shipping, communication, and measurement while reducing expenses with vendors, Home Delivery, Distribution Centers and carriers.
- Manage the Transportation team to ensure that all applicable reports (Claims, Transportation and Expense etc) are generated and distributed appropriately and timely.
- Analyze service and financialreporting weekly to identify trends and opportunities; communicate findings to appropriate parties and provide viable solutions to correct performance and/or service issues.
- Manage all aspects of performance, accountability and development of direct reports to maintain a high level of performance and encourage professional growth.
- Manage Foreign-Trade Zone (FTZ) procedures and guidelines.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 10 years experience managing Transportation Operations team and strategy
- Strong mentoring/coaching skills; experience managing and developing teams to perform with a high sense of urgency and ability to shift and prioritize work to meet key deadlines
- Proficiency in 3rd party web-based platforms and Transportation software such as Descartes Routing System
- Experience negotiating and managing contracts and RFP development
- Experience with parcel shipping
- Experience with GT Nexus, Track & Trace, and Transportation Management Systems (TMS)
- Excellent presentation skills and ability to effectively identify, develop, communicate and implement strategies and ideas across multiple business channels and audiences
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and adaptable to changing business needs and priorities of the organization
- Strong analytical skills, highly organized with strong attention to detail
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and Google platform programs
- Excellent business and financial acumen
- Good reading and written language skills (English)