This position is responsible for working on behalf of Simon Shopping Destinations (a portfolio of 112 tourism properties across multiple platforms including Malls Mills and Premium Outlets) to drive both domestic and international tourism to these centers. This position will work with in-market agencies to create and implement tourism marketing strategies including PR, Trade, MICE and digital to create awareness to position Simon as the shopping authority for travelers to the United States and Canada. This position will also liaise directly with properties to communicate tourism trends and opportunities, as well as provide training to the field on best practices to implement on a local level. Understanding, creating and driving the economic impact from our tourism activities in this portfolio is integral to Simon and closely monitored by our executive team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Oversee strategy and tourism activities for all marketing initiatives for China, Japan, Korea, Australia and New Zealand with a concentration to the Midwest, Southwest and West Coast properties
- Manage 6 international agencies ensuring projects are approved, managed, reported and on budget.
- Identify, evaluate, create and develop tourism opportunities that maximize value of Simon and target partner assets, including co-marketing, cross promotion, brand integration, consumer and digital experiences
- Collaborate with retailers across designated tourism markets looking for synergistic ideas, promotional and monetary support
- Direct China Social media channels (wechat and weibo) and agency overseeing digital activities in China
- Oversee international website content strategy and implementation including content assets; collateral, web content and videos
- Set strategy and oversee corporate relationship of key tourism boards such as Visit California, Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority and regional DMOs to collaborate on potential opportunities across Trade, PR, MICE and digital and ensure memberships are being fully maximized
- Develop sales mission calendar annually. Represent Simon at key tourism shows, conventions, sales missions, as approved, included but not limited to pre-show marketing to trade/media, booth/appointment management/sales; media activities; and post show fulfillment.
- Develop MICE programs and coordinate FAMs to showcase key tourism properties
- Develop regional tourism budgets and ensure budgets are being fully maximized per the plan
- Review all local tourism advertising placements to ensure the right products and mix are being utilized
- Liaison with field marketing, property management, brand marketing, business development and digital marketing developing communication across multiple Simon departments
- Develop and produce effective recaps and executive reports including ROI of programs for internal and external audiences
- Accountable for ensuring accurate measurements of tourism programs are in place
- Perform other duties as requested for the furtherance of the property and company
Preferred Minimum Qualifications:
- A BA or BS degree with emphasis in marketing or business with 10+ years working in the shopping, retail, tourism and/or hospitality industry.
- Knowledge of retail management, tour operators, receptive agents, conventions and meeting planners.
- Knowledge of international marketing and advertising including social media in China
- Ability to think strategically and work independently and get things done in a dynamic environment
- Strong organization and coordination skills
- Exceptional negotiating skills
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, selling and negotiation skills with the ability to use tact and diplomacy when interacting with others
- Sound fiscal management and budgeting skills
- Excellent word processing, Excel and Power Point skills
- Flexibility to work varied schedules including weekends and evenings and remotely
- Strong team building and coaching skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Extensive travel required predominately throughout the West Coast and Asia
- Fluent in English and Mandarin but not necessary