Req Id 63422
This position is a member of the Tax Leadership Team who is principally responsible for leading and directly managing the Global Tax Planning function for the LYB group for income taxes. This position currently has ±3 tax professionals directly reporting to it and ±6 indirect reports, which professionals are in multiple locations (Berre, London, and Rotterdam) as well as utilizing resources which do not report to it in the US and elsewhere. This position reports to the Vice President Tax but requires close coordination with the Chief Tax Counsel and Head of Transfer Pricing.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Development and implementation of global tax planning strategies for US and multiple non-US jurisdictions. This includes coordination with other functions, such as, Treasury, Financial Accounting (including disclosure), Legal and IT resources. Team with personnel responsible for transfer pricing to develop planning strategies involving transfer pricing.
- Work closely with other functions - Controller, Treasurer, Legal and Corporate planning personnel -- to optimize the tax efficiency of corporate structures and cash movements.
- Monitor and develop global planning strategies with respect to tax legislative and regulatory developments.
- Key member of a multi-disciplinary team providing tax guidance on global M&A and divestiture projects including development of tax efficient structures, contract review, and tax due diligence
- Represent LyondellBasell with respect to tax controversies and dispute resolution, including negotiation and management thereof, including multi-government processes.
- Oversight of/ support to tax compliance for Europe.
- Develop and utilize business knowledge about the Company and the industry to advise business managers and executives on supply chain, commercial and corporate development matters.
- Provide tax legal support to other tax functions, globally, and non-US business operations.
- Responsible for global non-transfer pricing BEPS planning.
- Provide tax support to other tax functions and business operations.
- Direct and evaluate tax research and opinions developed by both in house and third party service providers, including responsibility for implementation of any representations and plans.
- Negotiate and manage service contracts with outside CPA and law firms.
- Mentor and lead tax department members and teams with other department leaders to maximize employee engagement and provide opportunities for growth.
- Train and develop tax department members through coaching and supervision.
- Accounting or law degree with a minimum of 15+ years of broad corporate complex tax experience (corporate tax department, law firm or public accounting), handling complex multi-local country and international tax issues and analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex and interrelated processes.
- Proven management skills.
- Ability to communicate complex tax issues and options to senior executive financial and operating management allowing for effective decision making.
- Specific and extensive experience in dealing with international issues and various types of legal and business structures (partnerships, joint ventures, branches).
- Understanding of financial reporting to be able to recognize and communicate impacts of tax planning.
- Ability to travel at least 25%.
- Excellent tax technical and analytical skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- High intelligence and sound business judgment.
- Demonstrated experience in handling confidential information in an appropriate manner.
- Demonstrated team and project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to influence others / outcomes in circumstances where there is not specific managerial authority.
- Demonstrated ability to lead with vision on tax objectives, opportunities and challenges.