The North Face, a VF Company
At The North Face we dare to lead the world forward through Exploration. We were born to Explore. We were born to Disrupt. We were born to Lead.
The North Face is the premier exploration company in the world. Founded in the counterculture of Berkeley, CA in 1966 we have a long and storied legacy of enabling exploration, loving and protecting wild places, and creating iconic and technically advanced product.
We believe that exploration is a mindset – both on the mountain and off the mountain – and it infuses everything we do. As a community of explorers, we stay curious about new ideas, places and people.
Love wild places
Dare to disrupt
Lead with integrity
By joining The North Face, you will help provide the best gear for our athletes and the modern-day explorer. You will also have the opportunity, tools and environment to more deeply explore the world around you and make meaningful, lasting connections.
What You Will Do
Reporting to The North Face’s Vice President of Strategy, the Director of Global Sustainability is responsible for building the sustainability strategy for the brand and for leading the initiatives to fulfill those strategic objectives. These responsibilities include both building long-term roadmaps to achieve the brand’s sustainability goals and leading seasonal sustainability initiatives through our Go-To-Market (GTM) process, including product creation, marketing, and commercialization. The role also leads efforts to minimize the environmental impact of our owned facilities and supply chain partners. The Director of Sustainability is the visible leader of our sustainability programs and will be required to champion these efforts both internally and externally, with related non-profits, industry associations, and industry conferences. The Director will also be the leader and manager of the rest of the sustainability team, ensuring team contribution, development and success.
How You Will Make A Difference
- Develop and drive the global sustainability strategy for the brand, working to align, inform and inspire brand associates to help fulfill strategic objectives in sustainability
- Develop long-term roadmaps to to outline how brand will achieve its long-term sustainability objectives and lead seasonal sustainability initiatives through our Go-To-Market (GTM) process, including product creation, marketing, and commercialization.
- Partner with TNF Europe and Asia teams to ensure coordination on global initiatives
- Partner with VF Corporate sustainability team to lead and leverage corporate initiatives
- Monitor and report on product & supply chain environmental performance, operational resource efficiency, greenhouse gas emissions, lifecycle assessment and environmental product declaration, with Product, Operations and Supply Chain teams
- Partner with Product Creation leadership and the Materials Development team including new sustainable material options, systems integration and eco-preferred materials goal setting and evaluation
- Partner with Marketing, Sales and Merchandising teams to drive commercialization of environmentally responsible product
- Partner with Supply Chain teams to develop long-term roadmap and lead initiatives to further develop traceability and product footprint, and lifecycle analyses
- Lead and maintain our status with key sustainability partners like SAC, Bluesign, OIA, Textile Exchange, PETA, etc.
- Lead external sustainability communications including Corporate Sustainability Report, web content, sales kit, product workbooks, issues management, etc.
- Represent TNF for press coverage (interviews, panels) and in industry working groups
- Lead and manage the sustainability team – execute sustainability strategy tactics, manage key programs, employee engagement
What You Bring
- Years of Related Professional Experience: 10+ years
- BA or BS degree in Textiles, Industrial/Product Design, Environmental Policy, Environmental Management or Sustainability strongly preferred
- MA/MS in Textiles, Industrial Design, Environmental Management or MBA in Sustainability and/or equivalent combination of education and experience in corporate responsibility, apparel product development, materials development or EHS management for a consumer lifestyle brand/retailer
- Strong understanding of textile supply chain/product development process is preferred
- Familiarity with sustainability reporting metrics and schemes including carbon accounting, HIGG Index, Carbon Disclosure Project and GRI
- Experience with PLM systems and Bill of Materials management
- Interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate with cross-functional team
- Ability to translate strategy and implement into simple, tactical, results-driven goals
- Strong track record of successfully establishing procedures/processes and executing
- Excellent project leadership skills, with a strong project management background
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with all levels of the organization, with key focus on executive presence and public speaking capabilities
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and flexibility in a fast-paced environment
- Experience leading, coaching, and developing a team
- High Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint programs
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally ~30% of time
Where You Will Be Located
NEVER STOP EXPLORING™
The North Face is a subsidiary of VF Corporation. At VF, we outfit consumers around the world with our diverse portfolio of lifestyle brands. Founded in 1899, VF is one of the world’s largest apparel, footwear and accessories companies with socially and environmentally responsible operations spanning numerous geographies, product categories and distributionchannels. We are committed to delivering innovative products to consumers and creating long-term value for our customers and shareholders.
While our VF company and brands are diverse, we work together within a One VF culture to capitalize on our greatest opportunities for long-term performance. Across our company, a collaborative, global mindset differentiates our products and the unique experiences we provide to our consumers. It all adds up to a lasting competitive advantage built on harnessing the power of our differences to achieve great things together, all while positively impacting the lives of hundreds of millions of people and the world.