Paula’s Choice Skincare is a multinational brand that is 26 years strong! Our vision is to empower and enable people around the world with highly effective products and in-depth knowledge to make the best choices for their skin. We question ingredients, follow the facts and stand up for the customer, because we’re in this journey together.
Paula’s Choice is committed to diversity! Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. We hope you agree. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for empowering people to achieve their own definition of beautiful, Paula’s Choice could be a wonderful fit for you.
What we offer you:
- A robust benefits package including health, vision, dental, retirement and more
- Flexible spending account, Employee assistance program
- Fitness perks, meditation app membership and more
- Product samples and discounts
- Generous PTO
- Great location – we’re in the heart of Seattle’s beautiful International District
- Exceptional environment – we work hard and celebrate our accomplishments. You might catch our teams volunteering, at Mariner’s games or connecting at happy hours
- Did we mention we’re a dog-friendly office?
How you’ll have an impact at Paula’s Choice:
At Paula’s Choice Skincare, it all starts with our phenomenal Product Development team. The Director of Product Development drives all new product development to support our robust 3-year portfolio plan. This position also involves creating product positioning and marketing briefs, developing and implementing launch plans, and supporting our international markets with new product development.
This role requires a strong leader who has demonstrated success in developing and launching products globally. We are looking for someone who is creative, has a passion for skin care, and can help us continue to deliver the highest quality products to market. Product Development at Paula’s Choice is R&D lead and starts with the science and is driven by what is truly safe and effective for skin. You will have a unique opportunity to spearhead the development of all NPD for our global markets.
As a Director of Global Product Development, a typical day might include a mix of the following:
Ideation & Product Roadmap
- Work closely with the Ideation group on new product concepts and developing product briefs
- Identify new product opportunities, portfolio whitespace, and product improvements in collaboration with Brand Marketing and Research & Innovation
- Work with senior leadership to develop a rolling 3-year innovation product roadmap
- Collaborate with our global markets on innovation needs (specifically Asia & Europe)
New Product Development
- Lead the Product Development team and oversee the entire development process from concept to launch
- Oversee the Stage-Gate process and ensure key milestones and launch dates are met
- Oversee the Product Development Portfolio process (integrated business planning) and drive continuous improvement
- Oversee product concept testing and evaluate and approve sensory test questionnaires
- Work closely with Research & Innovation on developing strong clinical, before & after, and in-vitro testing plans.
- Oversee the Packaging team and collaborate cross-functionally on packaging design and specifications
- Evaluate and approve proposed package submissions for evacuation, aesthetics, and functionality.
- Oversee all development costs and product margins for NPD
- Identify benchmarks and direct aesthetic requirements for NPD
- Lead product naming and packaging copy with collaboration from Brand Marketing
- Keep a pulse on worldwide competitive activity and trends and ensure our launches are surpassing the competition
- Attend industry conferences and events to keep informed of new product and packaging directions, and trends
- Collaborate with our parent company, Unilever on consumer insights, trends, and actively seek out new opportunities
- Mentor and develop the Product Development team
- Implement an agile way of working and drive continuous improvement
- Identify and implement process improvements
- Troubleshoot challenges and remove roadblocks
What you’ll bring to the table:
- Passionate about skincare and developing highly effective products
- 8+ years of Product Development experience in skincare or a closely related industry
- Must be creative, innovative, and be able to articulate ideas clearly
- Proven track record of successful and on time product launches
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong presentation skills - ability to effectively communicate new product ideas and concepts to both internal and external groups.
- Must be a driver of results, ensuring that all key milestones are met in a timely manner.
- Experience in people management, training, and development.
- Strong analytical and creative problem-solving abilities
- Strong leadership, people management skills
What can help you really stand out:
- Knowledge of personal care ingredients, chemistry, product stability, and manufacturing processes
- Experience leading Product Development in skincare
- Experience working with Smartsheet and other product management software
- College degree