2. Purpose of Position: The Director, Global Materials & Sourcing provides strategic vision to all aspects of Materials management as well as Sourcing/ Procurement for Veeder-Root Operations globally. Provide direct oversight of associated functions at Altoona and coordination of functional activities to all Veeder-Root operations, not limited to Catlow and VRPE China.
This position will offer managerial direction and leadership to the Materials/Purchasing teams consistent with Danaher core values and operating philosophies. This position requires implementation of world class tactical materials/purchasing processes as well as contribution to a VR strategic procurement process.
The Director, Global Materials shall embody a high level sense of urgency, with a results oriented focus to drive Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost and Inventory performance, thereby driving business Growth.
3. Key Responsibilities:
• Lead the Internal Logistics & Planning team and the Sourcing & Procurement teams through their respective leaders, with attention to developing leadership and functional bench strength.
• Provide strategic and tactical interface to achieve VR procurement objectives (PPV, VAVE, Supplier PPM, Sourcing risk mitigation).
• Deploy process enhancements to assure timely materials availability to production teams, reducing downtime and improving factory On Time delivery performance.
• Manage Veeder-Root Operations logistics to achieve on time delivery goals, aggressive cost reduction.
• Continue to refine master scheduling and PSI processes to drive effective business decisions related to materials flow, supply chain responsiveness and inventory performance.
• Drive sourcing initiatives to increase supply chain flexibility and responsiveness to market demand.
• Identify and drive appropriate Level 3 Policy Deployment goals and countermeasures in support of Level 1 & 2 objectives
• Provide cross-functional materials and purchasing leadership for new product introduction, engineering change and cost reduction initiatives across the VR Global supply chain.
• Implement and maintain the Danaher Material Process (kanban principles) and appropriate DBS tools/principles to ensure continuous improvement related to Inventory, OTD and cost performance.
• Actively participate in and/or lead continuous improvement teams (kaizens) in support of company objectives.
• Develop and drive execution of sound internal logistics strategies to reduce waste and improve materials flow.
• Responsible for department budget development and performance.
• Provide motivational leadership and communication to all functional associates to ensure understanding and attainment of key performance (objectives safety, quality, delivery, cost and inventory) and materials/ sourcing plan.
• Develop and improve team performance by providing requisite training, coaching and counseling. Foster the development of a high performance team.
• Ensure a safe working environment and administer compliance with company policies and procedures; and lead the deployment within the department.
• Serve as a key member of the senior operations leadership team and help foster a spirit of DBS across the organization.
• Reports directly to the Vice President of Global Operations and supports VR executive staff.
• Works directly with VR Vice President of Operations, Finance leadership, VR Purchasing leaders/buyers, Altoona Materials leadership/planners and other managers within the VR operations.
• Direct oversight over Altoona Purchasing Manager and Internal Logistics Manager; dotted-line oversight over supply chain resources of all other Veeder-Root entities.
• Actively supports focus factory managers/production leadership and other supply chain customers.
• Interfaces with other GVR and DHR sourcing leaders.
5. Measures of Performance
• Performance to PD and KPI objectives for VR Global Operations.
• VR Operations On time delivery performance.
• VR Operations Inventory performance consistently meets/ exceeds business targets.
• Margin expansion through aggressive execution of Global PPV funnel and LCR sourcing.
• Product development project success related to supply chain quality.
• Product development project success related to schedule performance
• Improve Global Supplier Quality Measure.
• Progress to mitigate supply chain risk.
• Performance to PD and KPI objectives for VR Global Operations.
• Improvement in spend with Preferred/Qualified suppliers.
• Suppliers Best Cost/Low Cost Sourcing (BCR/LCR).
• Spend on P-Card/DPO improvement.
• Execution of Internal Logistics and Material Flow strategies.
• Achieve departmental budget and drive materials department expense reduction.
6. Background and Skills: The ideal candidate will have the following:
• 4-year college degree in Engineering or Business.
• Master’s degree in business or Supply Chain Management preferred.
• Eight (8) to Ten (10) years of directly related operations experience, at least five of which should be within the SCM function.
• Proven track record of driving for results and continuous improvement around Supply Chain metrics.
• Expertise in materials management and procurement including:
o LCR sourcing or management.
o Supply chain management and improvement.
o Sourcing cost-benefit analysis.
o ERP use and/or deployment
o Lead time reduction.
o Toll-gate / New Product Development (NPD) process experience.
7. Personal Trait Profile:
• Credible functional and business leader - Possesses functional pedigree to support expertise. Demonstrates sound leaderships practices that instill trust, engagement and dialog within and outside of their team.
• Intellect / Critical Thinker: Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills, quickly understands the details of the business and supports the team in formulating and executing on path to success.
• Conviction: understands the business and engages peers and leadership in critical, constructive dialogue on challenges, resource requirement, risks and tradeoffs. Supports team in making critical trade-off decisions. Takes responsibility for their decisions and countermeasures appropriately.
• Personal agility: Achieves results through other across cultures, geographies and organizational levels. Can work with a wide variety of personalities effectively.
• Influencing skills: effectively drive results within and outside formal chain of command and across geographic and cultural boundaries.
• Communication skills: Delivers balanced messages that engage the team on a group and individual level. Establishes and communicates organizational vision.
• Energy & drive: Thrives in a results oriented, dynamic, fast-paced environment, while focusing on stabilizing processes.
• Talent Development: Effectively assesses, develops, retains and hires human resources to drive organizational capabilities of delivering on short- and long-term goals. Makes difficult decisions and/or has critical conversations as required.
• Educated Risk taker: Listens and understands the business and process, but challenges the status quo. Takes appropriate risk after understanding potential implications.
• Integrity: achieves objectives through creativity, continuous improvement and hard work. Models the behaviors expected of a DHR leader.
• Veeder-Root Company is an equal opportunity employer.
• We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age,
• marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.