This position leads teams with responsibility for driving and coordinating global budget and forecasting activities to support operational and capital planning across the Company. The position will also work closely with the Accounting & Finance (A&F) Business Support Teams, Corporate Shared Services and Senior Leaders to develop, enhance and maintain Markel’s forecasting processes and system tools. This position is responsible for providing actionable analysis and technical financial support for the company’s long term strategic goals, capital planning processes and merger and acquisition activities. This position will report to the Managing Director, Financial Planning & Risk Management and be responsible for conveying the organization’s objectives and priorities to staff and measuring progress towards stated goals.Job Responsibilities:
- Lead the budgeting and forecasting process with Senior Leadership, Department Management and the A&F Business Support Group. Develop in-depth understanding of business unit plans, revenue drivers, expense allocations and capital investments.
- Partner with Company’s Shared Services units and the Accounting & Finance (A&F) Business Support Group to ensure that planning/forecasting needs and requirements are fully supported and integrated in the process.
- Manage a team of analysts responsible for developing accurate and timely financial plans/forecasts and analysis to drive key strategic initiatives, insights and analytics.
- Translate and interpret financial results into operational recommendations to improve business decisions and support strategic plans.
- Develop and execute strategies focused on improving value of analysis and reporting, through effective design, execution and coordination of supporting processes and system tools.
- Provide financial modeling, financial analysis, and valuation support for acquisitions, special projects, strategic initiatives, business process optimization and due diligence.
- Develop, manage, and mentor FP&A team members.
- Foster and encourage strong relationships with internal stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experiencerequired.
- CPCU or successful achievement of other industry designations.
- Minimum of 10-15years of related budgeting & financial analysis management experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong people management skills with experience in leading and mentoring direct reports and teams to ensure professional development and performance.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Proven ability to connect data analysis with business issues and decisions.
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Ability to deliver outstanding customer service.
- Strong desire for continuous improvement.