Zip-Pak is a division of Illinois Tool Works (ITW), a Fortune 200 company that is one of the world’s leading diversified manufacturers of specialized industrial equipment, consumables and related service businesses.
Zip-Pak serves customers and markets around the globe, with a significant presence in developed and emerging markets offering a complete range of re-sealable closure services, machinery and solutions.
The Director Global Engineering & Field Service will be based out of Carol Stream, IL.
Job Responsibilities include:
- Drive and support new product development and modifications
- Drive Customer Back Innovation initiatives in coordination with Sales & Marketing utilizing such tools as blueprinting
- Identifies, in conjunction with marketing and engineering management, promising areas of research or technology that address unmet needs and have large potential markets
- Communicates to senior management overview of all products under development, and their stage of development
- Develops and implements methods and procedures for monitoring projects, such as preparation of records of expenditures and research findings, progress reports, and staff conferences, to inform management of status of each project
- Tracks industry trends, relevant legislation, and competitor activities
- Approves and submits proposals considered feasible to management for consideration and allocation of funds, or allocates funds from department budget
- Oversees the field technical service team that provides consultation, technical assistance and troubleshooting for external customers for start-ups (all products) and quality complaints
- Lead and develop the Field Service team that is the industry leader and provides a strategic advantage for Zip-Pak. Focus will include customer service levels, technical training, and talent acquisition.
Engineering/Innovation Strategic Planning
- Partners with the leadership team to develop and execute Engineering’s Annual and Long-Range Plans based on in-depth understanding of business and operations
- Develop the vision, strategic plan and the annual tactics in collaboration with leadership to drive an optimized global engineering and innovation strategy
- Plans and formulates aspects of research and development proposals such as objective or purpose of project, applications that can be utilized from findings, costs of project, and equipment and human resource requirements
- Reviews and analyzes proposals submitted to determine if benefits derived and possible applications justify expenditures
- Financial accountability; revenue and variable margin growth, budget, planning and KPI’s
Continuous Improvement / ITW Toolbox Implementation
- Leader of 80/20, USa, MRD, In-Lining and gets results (or Six Sigma, LEAN, etc., if external)
- Define key performance metrics and monitor performance to exceed KPI targets. Actively adjust and implement changes necessary to drive best-in-industry performance to produce optimum operational results, P&L improvement and product simplification/rationalization
- Drive consistent work place policies and procedures that are aligned with ITW approaches and develop key metrics to measure progress of initiatives
Team Leadership and Development
- Leads and develops talent to maximize individual, team and organizational effectiveness. Fosters a culture of engagement and accountability, cascading vision, and creating goal alignment
- Responsible for leading and developing a team of Engineering Managers (3) and their direct reports (20)
- Use appropriate interpersonal styles and techniques to gain acceptance of ideas and plans. Coaches through feedback, development planning and performance management
- Champion the effective use of change management principles, strategies and techniques to plan, implement and evaluate change
- Builds a strong pipeline of talent to ensure a diverse high performing organization.
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university;
- 10+ years progressive experience in engineering/innovation management with experience leading a global engineering/innovation team
- Must have outstanding leadership skills, with demonstrated success in fostering a collaborative, accountable and solution-oriented environment that consistently delivers successful results to the bottom line.
- Must be innovative, flexible, curious and have exhibited visionary success by identifying and successfully translating market ideas into tangible business solutions. Must have demonstrated success in reading market conditions, understanding and prioritizing speed and urgency based on changing market conditions.
- Must have proven & successful new product launch experience, including intimate familiarity with stage gate processes, filling the innovation funnel, strong supplier relationships and effective product life-cycle planning
- Design, testing, validation process expertise
- Proven portfolio management and project/process management experience
- Must have strong business acumen and outstanding presentation skills (to customers and internal staff)