The Director, Fundraising Programming assists the VP of Fundraising Programming with the oversight and implementation of the overall direction of Fundraising Programming for PBS. Create strategies and implement plans to develop and manage PBS Fundraising Programming (PFP) as they progress from proposals to production and distribution. Assist in the management and supervision of PFP content as it relates to other business units within PBS.
Essential duties will include, but not limited to:
- Assist Vice President and Senior Director in the research, development and project management of on-air fundraising content, from identifying potential topics and hosts to the development of proposals and production of full programs.
- Assist in the procurement and acquisition of existing content for fundraising purposes.
- Establish and build relationships with producers and producer entities in order to develop new and future content.
- Assist Vice President and Senior Director on proposal screening and evaluation to determine what will be distributed to PBS stations during national on-air fundraising campaigns.
- Evaluate programming and recommend content selections to create appealing pledge programs, and then supervise edits for packaging.
- Serve as point-person for PFP producers once their proposals have been greenlit and on production projects.
- Work directly with Producers to evaluate and oversee the development and packaging of their productions, which includes educating producers on PBS technical requirements and policies.
- Evaluate and approve program rough cuts, pledge breaks and scripting (as well as other materials as needed) prior to program submission, and then evaluate final programs to ensure accuracy into any content changes and technical specifications.
- Keep Vice President informed and updated of all matters surrounding production, packaging and delivery of programming (including potential issues/problems). Work closely with PBS Scheduling, Program Management, Program Operations, Media Relations (and other departments as necessary) to update on PFP Pipeline as well as oversee program packaging, screening, editing, and delivery to PBS
Fundraising and Station Relations
- Produce and create on-air promotional spots (as needed) for PFP programs.
- Produce and create all materials published to PBS stations to support PFP programs (including but not limited to PFP Guides, feed schedules, rundowns, previews, and the packaging of tool-box content reels).
- Produce and Direct PFP teleconferences four times a year which includes (but is not limited to) creating scripts for VP and Senior Director, creating clip reel of upcoming PFP, and providing technical support during feeds.
- Review, track and approve invoices related to PFP in accordance to contract specifications.
- Prepare and produce content, clip reels, and materials necessary to promote PFP for PBS conferences and outside meetings.
- When assigned, represent Vice President and Senior Director at meetings within and outside of PBS.
- Other duties as assigned.
Requirements for success:
- Bachelor's degree in television, marketing, communications or related fields, or equivalent work experience;
- Six to eight years programming and production experience; some knowledge in development preferred; experience in public television on-air fundraising strongly preferred;
- Familiarity with on- and off-line editing equipment, on-air fundraising and studio production;
- Knowledge of premium acquisition and fulfillment preferred;
- Demonstrated managerial abilities;
- Good program judgment/sensibility;
- Effective interpersonal and negotiation skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to make sound judgments overall;
- Attention to detail and pride in high-quality execution of work;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Ability to work independently, prioritize and meet competing deadlines;
- Ability to work collaboratively and diplomatically with others;
- Keeps abreast of latest trends in on-air fundraising and television production;
- Strong computer capabilities.