GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES – Assumes responsibility for all aspects of Food & Nutrition services and ensures a high level of customer service and patient satisfaction of Food & Nutrition Services. Oversees all food service-related activities, including: patient foodservice, retail, cafeteria, catering, and other foodservice, quality improvement, sanitation, infection control and all hospital-related activities. Reports to Division Director of Food & Nutrition Services and assigned hospital senior leader. Works collaboratively with Market Clinical Nutrition Manager to administer clinical program and supervise clinical staff within department.
SUPERVISOR – Division Director for Food and Nutrition Services
SUPERVISES – Department Staff in assigned facility
KEY INTERACTIONS – Facility foodservice staff, Senior Leaders and Directors of other departments in assigned facility, Directors of Food and Nutrition Services in other facilities, Distributor Representatives
DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Twenty four hour responsibility and accountability for foodservice operations, assuring safe, quality, efficient food handling, preparation and service of food for all customer groups.
- Actively monitors budget for area and evaluates expenditure on a regular basis. Initiates recommendations to ensure department is operating within budget. Utilizes company systems and vendors to ensure appropriate monitoring and control of inventory and supplies. Optimizes use of supplies, equipment and services, ensuring a high level of clinical care at the lowest cost. Actively seeks ways to control costs without compromising quality or the services delivered.
- Utilizes company systems and division processes to monitor and control key performance indicators, including cost per volume, productivity standards, contract compliance, patient satisfaction, employee engagement, retail margin management, patient service utilization and complimentary service utilization.
- Involves staff at all levels in collaborative process, assuring all aspects of operation meet division, facility and regulatory standards. Assures provision of quality services by maintaining appropriate resources, staffing levels, competency of staff, maintenance/ and performance of equipment, instrumentation calibration, physical space, and training and education of staff. Fosters effective collaboration between departments and other services to ensure an integrated approach in providing services to meet the needs of the patients served. Models, fosters and drives a patient focused culture through ensuring service excellence "must haves" are practiced and hardwired within assigned areas.
- Applies the principles of continuous quality improvement in delivery of services, through measuring, assessment and monitoring of FANS processes and systems. Continuously evaluates work process and design; understands role in ensuring performance improvement, productivity, and service delivery to meet stakeholder needs. Develops, implements and monitors performance improvement plans to ensure compliance and address performance improvement opportunities.
- Takes ownership and demonstrates service excellence principles in all interactions with the patient, physician and others. Supports and recognizes physicians as an important customer. Ensures patient's safety, dignity and privacy at all times. Actively supports facility community efforts, and represents the hospital in the community through participation in community organizations, agencies, speaker bureaus etc. Promotes a professional image and acts as an ambassador inside and outside the organization.
- Provides leadership of the Food and Nutrition Service function, services and programs. Demonstrates accountability for maintaining and monitoring utilization of resources, physical space, equipment, department protocols, equipment, standards, policies, and practices.
- Ensures competency and development of staff through education and training. Ensures new staff is oriented to specific job duties with particular focus on safety and infection control.
- Demonstrates responsibility and accountability in managing productivity standards. Continuously evaluates and assesses work process/design to enhance productivity and service delivery to meet stakeholder expectations and business goals. Schedules and assigns staff effectively; continuously evaluates staff assignments to ensure quality care and service delivery to meet stakeholder needs. Ensures the selection, retention and assignment of qualified competent staff to meet organizational needs. Ensures management of department productivity and work prioritization on unit. Manages staff performance through regular review, real time feedback, and performance planning. Ensures performance reviews are conducted on time. Actively coaches and mentors staff.
- Provides leadership in managing, facilitating and communicating organizational change. Encourages risk taking; fosters a culture of innovation and continuous improvement.
- Ensures personal/professional conduct reinforces Company's values and promotes Code of Conduct. Meets leadership obligations under the Ethics and Compliance Program.
- Assesses effectiveness of current services, and supports the expansion or development of new product lines, services, or innovations that are consistent with hospital vision, mission and values to promote growth in overall volume.
- Demonstrates personal responsibility for professional development. Actively promotes development of self and others through participation in professional organizations, educational opportunities, etc.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- Organization – proactively prioritizes needs and effectively manages resources
- Communication – communicates clearly and concisely
- Leadership – guides individuals and groups toward desired outcomes, setting high performance standards and delivering leading quality services
- Customer orientation – establishes and maintains long-term customer relationships, building trust and respect by consistently meeting and exceeding expectations
- Tactical execution – oversees the development, deployment and direction of complex programs and processes
- Policies & Procedures – articulates knowledge and understanding of organizational policies, procedures and systems
- Judgment – Makes decisions based upon job knowledge and experience. Considers all impacted areas in decision process. Seeks advice where applicable. Judgment sensible and reliable.
- Interpersonal Skills – able to work effectively with other employees, patients and external parties
- PC skills – demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, Meditech, Business Objects, team rooms, and discipline-specific food management, diet office and point of sale applications, (Computrition), purchasing vendor applications and others as required
- Financial management – applies tools and processes to successfully manage to budget
- Project management – assesses work activities and allocates resources appropriately
- Analytical skills – ability to comprehend and analyze options to determine best decision for patients, facility, department and company.
- Basic Skills – able to perform mathematical calculations, balance and reconcile figures, punctuate properly, spell correctly and transcribe accurately
- Associatedegree in related field with applicable experiencerequired.
- Bachelors degree in Foodservice Management, Nutrition, Finance, Business Management, Healthcare Administration or similar preferred
- Master’s Level degree, preferred
- Experience in hospital foodservice required, with 3-5 years management experience.
- Knowledge of foodservice activities and duties, terminology and nomenclature required.
- Certified Dietary Manager (CDM) in lieu of degree, with additional experience
- Serve Safe Certification or equivalent required.
- Registered Dietitian with Florida state licensure preferred.