PAX Labs is an award-winning, consumer technology brand that supports responsible, adult use. Our products represent the gold standard in product quality and we aim to move the space beyond unfortunate stereotypes of cannabis users. Most of all, we want to be good stewards for a product and movement that enhances many people’s lives.
Headquartered in San Francisco, PAX is backed by leading technologyinvestors including Fidelity Investments, Tiger Global and Tao Invest (Pritzker family fund). We are an exceptional team with hardware and software backgrounds in consumer technology, healthcare, and biotech, and are growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. Our internal culture values diversity, integrity, having an impact, and passion for the larger movement that PAX is a part of.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to VP, Hardware, the Director of Firmware will be leading and growing and talented group of firmware engineers and app developers to bring new products and major product improvements to market. In this consumer-centric product company, the Director has an opportunity to have a high level impact on its success and direction. This position requires both a visionary and manager: someone the technical team can rally around with confidence in their capabilities, accountability, support and communication. This means:
- Developing and growing an excellent engineering team with a passion for shipping terrific product to customers.
- Finding and hiring incredible people who you’ll be excited to work with.
- Helping our engineers improve performance, deliver new features - by management, mentorship, and by contributing yourself.
- Working with the broader team to develop the requirements and specifications that will drive our products forward
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- Manages, directs and supports the Firmware Development team. Hires, trains, develops, teaches, coaches, mentors, motivates, disciplines, and rewards staff members.
- Meets regularly with direct reports to review performance, identifies any issues and sets expectations of goals.
- Researches, evaluates, and recommends investments in systems to improve process efficiencies and product quality.
- Determines resource needs, develops plans, tracks progress to those plans, resolves conflicts and delivers scheduled milestones to projects.
- Collaborates with PM/SW/ME/EE to develop schedules, project plans, and cost estimates for implementing new product introductions and significant product enhancements.
- Reviews and evaluates product quality (through customer service, bug reports and QA), and takes action as necessary to correct variances.
- Mentors less experienced staff on technical issues and handling projects and responsibilities; considered a strong leader and role model for the department.
- Ensures engineers and developers follow appropriate documentation guidelines and hold code reviews in accordance with product development procedures.
- Leads team in developing, validating, and documenting product and process requirements.
- Work with senior management in the prioritization and assessment of future projects and company and department goals
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Strong project management skills required. Capable of overseeing multiple teams in all project activities for multiple concurrent projects necessary for the successful commercial launch of new products.
- Comfortable driving multiple initiatives at a rapid pace, making thoughtful recommendations with available data.
- Active, high-energy communicator who drives a company vision/mission to align teams, critical resources, management, and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated track record of developing and launching successful, on-time and innovative software;
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent is required. Master’s Degree is preferred.
- 3+ year of experiencemanagingfirmware and/or software teams who have created firmware andsoftware apps for consumer electronic devices.
- 10+ years of experience in software development
- Expertise in one (or more of) the areas:
- Various management tools and processes for the Software Development Life Cycle
- Software development best practices (source control, unit testing, CI, etc)
- Software development in embedded systems with an additional application layer team is a plus. Such environments might be something like a dvd player, TV, IoT device, etc.
- 5+ years of experience coding firmware in embedded systems is a plus