The Department: Financial Accounting
The Financial Operations and Accounting Teams at Gemini are thought leaders in the digital asset accounting and reconciliation space. Our mandate is to bridge the traditional world of finance with the innovation of cryptocurrency products, providing our clients with a best-in-class financial institution experience.
The Role: Director, Financial Operations
Gemini is looking to hire a Director of Financial Operations for our headquarters office in New York City. Joining a rapidly growing and high quality, established digital asset exchange that is regulated by the New York State Department of Financial Services, this appointment will be central to our continued scaling as an organization.
- Lead all financial statement preparation, presentation, and retention, along with financial planning and analysis, budget forecasting and re-forecasting.
- Maintain all ledger reconciliations, capital computations, audit support, bookkeeping, and accounting due diligence.
- Submit all required financial reporting deliverables to various regulators by prescribed deadlines.
- Establish and maintain financial policies and procedures and internal business controls that ensure sustainable and profitable business growth.
- Manage a team of Financial Operations professionals across Accounting, AP/AR, and Tax functions.
- Develop financial and other applicable plans to realize strategic goals and deliver on the execution for Gemini’s global business.
- Manage key external relationships with audit professionals, consultants, and tax advisors.
- Develop strategies for compliance with emerging accounting and tax rule changes and guidance from oversight bodies.
- Advise on strategic client and equity partnerships with a focus on long-term deal analysis, forecasting, business planning, and critical risks.
- Translate financial analysis into actionable insights for strategic planning, cash flow management, financing and Board meetings.
- Assure timely and accurate financial closing processes including overall responsibility for completion of weekly and monthly closes, along with quarterly and annual audits.
- Facilitate operational tax strategies and foreign currency exchange rate strategies.
- Oversee outsourced financial activities to Gemini affiliates and any sub-outsourcing to other third party service providers, ensuring services are provided in accordance with the respective regulatory requirements and internal policies, processes and procedures and agreed service level agreements.
- Evaluate and improve processes and systems to promote operational excellence.
- Manage a team of Financial Operations professionals across Accounting and Tax functions.
- An undergraduate degree in accounting, economics, finance or related field. An advanced graduate degree is a plus
- 12-15+ years work experience in accounting. Big 4 accounting firm experience is a plus
- CPA (or equivalent license)
- Previous Finance experience at a technology company such as e-Commerce, Payment Services, wider FinTech, Credit Cards or Global Transaction Services and Exchanges will be advantageous. Previous experience in a broker-dealer or financial exchange is desirable.
- Proven experience gained within a relevant, regulated financial services organization and a strong understanding of relevant products and services, including current knowledge of their regulatory financial requirements.
- Proven track record of leading Finance teams, managing performance, and improving knowledge/skills of team members.
- Ability to learn quickly in a fast-paced and changing financial environment with the demonstrated capacity for excellent judgment, communication, and negotiation skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and relationship building abilities.
- Experience with enhancing and scaling financial accounting software.
- Has an understanding of GAAP and maintains industry related technical expertise.
- Data-driven leadership skills with a multi-layered understanding of the economics and drivers for a growth-oriented business.
- The ability to design the work processes, plans, KPIs, and incentive schemes for the team to deliver on department and company goals.
- Experience with debt and equity financing, and M&A transactions would be a plus, to include managing the capital structures of a company in the fintech/crypto space (equity, debt, capital requirements, etc.)
- The ideal candidate will have a regulatory financial background but, in any event, he/she will possess a proven track record of successfully advising, influencing and representing an international company with complex regulatory, financial and legal matters.