Canadian Operations is the support unit within Sun Life Financial Canada accountable for the execution of business processes and projects supporting Individual, Group Benefits, Group Retirement Services and Client Solutions. With almost 4,000 FTEs in Canada and Asia, and an annual budget of over $500 million, it creates value for the enterprise by delivering industry-leading customer service and focusing on increasing productivity and efficiency.
This newly created role reporting to the AVP Financial Plan and Analysis, the Director, Financial Initiatives and Analysis will focus on furthering the data and analytics agenda for Canadian Operations Finance (COF) with a strong focus on operations performance measurement by creating and maintaining financial models, understanding key cost drivers and influencing people in the organization to drive cost reductions.
This role oversees financial planning and performance management activities for the Operations team within Sun Life Financial Canada. The role is responsible for measuring financial performance, identifying risks and opportunities, and recommending corrective actions and tradeoffs to ensure the Operations leadership is executing against its financial goals and strategy. A key focus is to develop key drivers of performance and collaborate to ensure they are clearly understood at the leadership level. The role also oversees our financial transformation initiatives and support the strategy development and implementation, working closely with departmental colleagues on execution.
Performance Measurement and Decision Support:
- Drives visibility to key drivers of business performance, identifiesrisks and opportunities and makes recommendations ontradeoffs.
- KPI development and management reporting
- Holds finance and business leaders accountable by providing broader insight beyond financial performance.
- Capable of leading operational performance discussions and driving a relentless focus on delivering against commitments through communication and progressive thought leadership skills.
Financial Analysis and Modelling:
- Evaluates operational performance and makes recommendations through insightful management reporting, scenarios, and
- Implements forecast strategies and practices by defining modelling frameworks and approaches to capture significant features of the business situation.
- Builds, evaluates and improves complex models with sophisticated tools to project realistic outcomes for financial and non-financial data such as:
- Key finance lead for the strategic plan and financial planning activities.
- Manages the strategic planning cycle and in-year target setting forecast processes
- Lead initiatives that drive the change agenda for Finance by developing a roadmap in partnership with Operations Finance teams to optimize financial systems and processes.
- 4 year University degree with a focus on business (Commerce, Accounting, Economics, preferred)
- MBA, CPA or other Finance designation, preferred
- 6-8 years of managerial experience
- Knowledge of Microsoft applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Word), Oracle general ledger, Planning systems and BI tools
- Results oriented and critical thinking – high sense of ownership
- Capable of distilling complex concepts into simple key messages and insights
- Analytical thinking - designs/orchestrates use of business analytics for strategic decision making
- Problem solving skills with a natural curiosity for root cause analysis to identify key levers of financial and operational performance
- Strong business acumen - big picture understanding of business, interrelationships, priorities