Oversees accounting of funds appropriated to the university from the State of Texas. Provides effective management of the sources and uses of state funds, prepares annual financialreports in accordance with state regulations, and coordinates use of these funds with organizational objectives of executive management. Oversees the preparation and submission of the Annual Financial Report, mandated reports on state appropriated funds, and other financialreports required by external entities. Collaborates with all system campuses and departments involved in the preparation of financialreports to establish uniform and appropriate procedures.
- Directs University financialreporting operations, including daily operations ensuring adherence to established standards of accounting principles, governmental statutes and regulations, and institutional policies to ensure that organizational objectives are met.
- Participates in strategic and organizational planning, including making recommendation for both minor and major operational, system, and accounting decisions.
- Oversees and directs managerial and supervisor staff and professional accounting staff, including evaluation, training and development.
- Initiates studies and projects designed to identify potential improvements to financialreporting operations and procedures, collaborates with other affected and involved business units system-wide, and provides leadership in the development and improvement of accounting and financial systems that help to ensure that financial information is both accurate and useful for reporting internal decision making.
- Reviews and approves all reports and analytical data submitted to senior management and external entities.
- Develops and maintains financial information links between executive budgeting and financial operations that facilitate the dissemination of financial information between the university and third-party interests, such as the Higher Education Coordinating Board, the State Legislature, accreditation bodies, etc.
- Coordinates compliance with fiscal regulatory requirements with UH System campuses.
- Serves on university, system and statewide committees to improve state appropriation accounting and financialreporting.
- Performs other job-related duties as required.
Bachelors and 5 years experience.
Requires a thorough understanding of both theoretical and practical aspects of an analytical, technical or professional discipline; or the basic knowledge of more than one professional discipline. Knowledge of the discipline is normally obtained through a formal, directly job-related 4 yeardegree from a college or university or an equivalent in-depth specialized training program that is directly related to the type of work being performed.
Requires a minimum of five (5) years of directly job-related experience.