This individual contributor position provides strategic leadership to business partners across Unum Group and influencesbusiness decisions/outcomes, with a focus on the Closed Block segment. The position will direct and preparefinancial analyses that serve to inform and groundbusiness decisions and will collaborate with subject matter experts, provide qualityfinancial analytics, and exercise judgment to drive optimum solutions for complex issues. Responsibilities will include the development of, implementation of, and adherence tofinancialpolicies and procedures that will improve the overall operations, consistency, controls, process efficiency, and effectiveness of the enterprise.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Seek out and maintain cooperative, productive cross-functional partnerships throughout the global enterprise.
- Model positive change management, leading others through new operating models and methodologies, creating opportunities for discussion and deliberation.
- Build agility and resilience within the Finance organization to drive transformation.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to raise the level of expertise within the team or teams of other business partners.
- Seek out opportunities to increase business knowledge and create visibility within the organization.
- Maintain a comprehensive working knowledge of Unum Group’s finance functions, processes, reporting systems, and requirements.
- Lead monthly, quarterly, and annual internal reporting process for Closed Block Finance. Prepare senior management for external communication of quarterly Closed Block results.
- Partner with individual disability and long-term care Finance teams to develop 5-yearfinancial plan. Review plans for reasonability and consistency and communicate to senior management.
- Act as an expert consultant providing financialsupport to business areas regarding technical inquiries, planning and forecasting process, and various tax and accounting issues.
- Review existing accounting, financialreporting and administrative processes and procedures in an effort to streamline activities to increase productivity
- Maintain compliance with corporate policies, procedures and controls and external regulatory requirements.
- Lead business initiatives and projects.
- Research, recommend, and implement new technical solutions for Closed Block Finance.
- Present reporting and analysis to senior management. Proactively identify and research unusual trends and make recommendations. Lead detailed analyses and forecasts of complex aspects of financial performance.
- Monitor industry trends and issues in support of business needs and assesses impacts, particularly for long-term care.
- Reconcile Closed Block financial information to maintain control and accuracy by identifying discrepancies and their cause and proposing and implementing solutions.
- Bachelor’s degreerequired.
- Six+ years comparable work experience in the finance department of large corporation.
- Comprehensive knowledge of finance at practical and policy levels and the technical skills required to support it.
- Proficient in Excel and PowerPoint. Experience working in general ledger software preferred (e.g. Workday).
- In-depth understanding and application of financial services and/or insurance sector accounting preferred.
- Strong negotiation and partnership skills, across all levels of management, with ability to influence and challenge decisions and processes.
- Ability to frame up issues, options, and solutions using financial data for business decision-making.
- Experience navigating change in a positive manner.
- Experience working with all corporate levels including senior management and external contacts.
- Proven ability to work in fast-paced, detailed, and deadline-oriented environment by balancing multiple priorities and resources simultaneously.
- Excellent conflict resolution and facilitation skills.
- Operates with strong conceptual thinking rather than strictly in a 'rules' framework.