VTG is seeking a Director of Finance to support our Mission Systems Strategic Business Unit. This role will provide complete leadership responsibility for the project controls function at a division; partnering with Project Managers for the proper initiating, planning, executing, monitoring/controlling, and closing phases of projects; and assisting the General Manager in effective business management of the division.
- Implement and support project controls work processes at divisions and field sites, providing continued guidance and training to project personnel, as necessary.
- Perform as an integral member of the project team, assisting the Project Manager (PjM), as necessary, for successful completion of the project. Depending on numerous factors, may support one large program or project or may be required to support numerous smaller projects.
- Retrieves and analyzes historical information from a variety of sources to support statement of work (SOW), work breakdown structure (WBS), and estimate development. Analyzes estimates to ensure basis of estimate is documented and, when compared against historical data, to ensure differences are identified, investigated, explained, and documented.
- Participates in the project kick-off meeting and prepares contract/project overview sheet with charging information and overview of scope/estimate/budget. Ensures project team understanding of contract/project status reporting requirements and methods of communicating events, issues, concerns, etc.
- Maintains the Plan of Action and Milestones (POA&M), as appropriate; and, utilizing the POA&M and all project information, prepares required reports, including earned value management (EVM), for the PjM, division management, company management, and customer. Performs a briefing with the PjM to present reporting requirements, review project status, obtain additional information on variances, provide recommendations for improvement, and document recovery/mitigation plans. Submits reporting requirements.
- Reviews and analyzes all project information (i.e., cost, schedule, quality, scope, etc.); prepares forecasts and validates estimates to complete; works with PjM and project team for explanation and mitigation plans, if appropriate; and ensures all status comments, issues, conditions, and events are properly documented. Coordinates and/or performs follow-up actions to include, but not limited to, contract modifications, condition discrepancy reports (CDRs), POA&M rebaseline (only as authorized by proper procedures), transaction corrections, work at risk, additional project setup, and any other actions identified and deemed necessary. Coordinates and/or communicates such actions with the PjM and project team for resolution.
- Reviews the final POA&M, ensuring all anomalies, project issues, lessons learned, etc. are documented. Incorporates any changes or critical information into POA&M template(s). Analyzes complete project performance, coordinates findings/explanation with PjM, holds team meeting, if necessary. Reviews outstanding commitments and ascertain true status; ensures appropriate action taken to resolve/clear. Ensures all project information (electronic and hard copy) is archived. As requested, assists PjM in completing closeout report
- Provide group or individual training support, as necessary, for the variety of project management tools and applications utilized within the company. Analyze queries and support requests from users to develop training opportunities to maximize company and project team efficiency and effectiveness.
- Provide guidance and oversight to personnel on company, government, and customer policies, procedures, and regulations as they relate to business operations and to all phases of project management.
- Provide analysis, recommendations, and support to the General Manager (GM) for efficient and effective business operations. May provide assistance in budgeting, financial reporting, and cost control.
- Bachelor’s degree and ten years of direct experience in project controls and/or project management tools and techniques. Project Management Professional (PMP) or Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM) desired. Familiarity with cost accounting standards (CAS), Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), and Defense Contract Audit Agency (DCAA). Prior experience within the government contracting field, particularly the DoD. Working knowledge of other functional areas, such as contracts, supply chain, quality control, etc. Must have previous Management/Supervisory experience.
- Ability to extract and combine data from numerous sources and use a variety of software applications to develop and create necessary information for analysis. Advanced experience with project management applications, particularly MS Project. Entering WBS activities, establishing relationships between tasks, using durations, statusing work accomplished, adding custom fields, creating/modifying views, etc. Advanced experience with spreadsheet applications, particularly MS Excel. Importing data from a variety of sources and in a variety of formats, creating pivot tables and charts, using numerous functions, and creating formulas. Aptitude to use a multitude of other software applications, including report writing applications to obtain necessary data or information for analysis or reporting requirements.
- Prior hands-on experience in a project controls, project management, earned value management (EVM), and/or cost/schedule control functions, ensuring all associated activities such as project administration, change management, cost management, and schedule management are executed in a timely fashion and in accordance with applicable standards. Relevant experience in planning/scheduling, cost accounting, budgeting, forecasting, performance measurement, project closeout, etc. Activities include, but are not limited to, developing WBSs, scheduling activities, estimating WBS elements, documenting basis for estimate and assumptions, establishing baselines, rebaselining as appropriate, resource assignment and scheduling, maintaining POA&Ms, variance analysis, risk analysis, mitigation/recovery plans, documenting all aspects of project performance (status, issues, concerns, communications), submitting change requests, etc.
- Strong leadership abilities, and the ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment in an organization that is undergoing significant growth and cultural change. Influencing skills, to gain commitment to process change and reduce resistance. Tolerance of ambiguity, to be able to function comfortably, patiently and effectively in an uncertain, changing environment. Well-developed analytical and problem-solving skills. Strong organizational and planning skills and excellent attention to detail. Must be able to work independently and set priorities on multi-task assignments. Must be self-motivated, responsible, and reliable. Strong team-building abilities to foster collaboration and to bring together key stakeholders and establish effective working groups. Networking skills in establishing and maintaining appropriate contacts within and outside the organization. Stimulating motivation and commitment in others involved. Significant amount of cooperation and coordination with other individuals, including managers at all levels of the company organization, personnel at all levels of customer organizations, contracts and procurement professionals, field technical personnel. Strong written and verbal communication skills to transmit effectively to all levels in the organization the need for change and in individual tasks and responsibilities.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and projects while working independently in a fast-paced environment. Professional written and verbal communication skills to include the ability to generate technical reports and documents and to effectively coordinate with various levels of management, project managers, technical personnel, and client organizations. Extensive experience in finance and accounting with a strong background using MS Excel and Project.
- Must be able to obtain a security clearance.