The position is responsible for leading the financial operations of Thrivent Advisor Network (TAN), a new subsidiary of Thrivent Financial. They will provide leadership across a divisional team with a combination of direct reports and matrix reports from other functional areas. This includes but is not limited to: P&L management, revenue and expense planning, forecasting, and reporting (internally and required SEC and tax filing); expense analysis and identification of potential areas of efficiency improvement; and maintenance of effective financial controls.
This position will seek to deliver the following: a financial framework aligned with the strategic direction for the group; manage internal and external partner relationships; coordinate the work of eventual line staff; develop solutions that appropriately balance client needs and preferences with corporate objectives of minimizing complexity and attributing revenue/expenses in an appropriate and actionable manner; and identify, develop, and manage the key talent needed to support the TAN team.
For 2019 this role will build the financial management framework, relevant for the Hybrid RIA (registered investment advisors) industry, for the subsidiary channel as part of the start-up development initiative.
This role will initially report to the corporate finance organization and maintain a dotted line to the VP for Thrivent Advisor Network as a member of the TAN leadership team.
- Determines and creates the accounting processes and structure for the business. Provides accounting expertise and enforce accounting policies for expense management, financial analysis, internal financial reporting, financial planning & performance measurement.
- Creates general ledger structure for the business, as well as the technology systems and processes to be used for the financial operations and transactions of TAN. Provides leadership (and in early days necessary execution) to the ongoing management of financial control measures and accounting processes.
- Provides financial thought leadership and financial modeling for TAN business as it scales for the future, during 2019 assembly/build out stages and for ongoing business operation needs thereafter.
- Creates economic models with relevance to the strategy and direction of the business unit.
- Responsible for reporting monthly, quarterly and annual financial results versus budget for executive leadership. Includes providing value-added business insights to support decision making, explain operating results and updating business forecasts
- Responsible for delivery of vendor/contract finance management (e.g., managing vendor contracts such as compensation provider and managing notice periods, terms, conditions, performance, etc.).
- Creates and leads the delivery of reporting & analytics support for TAN business.
- Represents TAN for coordination with Thrivent enterprise financial oversite mechanisms, regulators and external auditors during financial exams and audits.
- Play a key role to insure effective internal controls are in place and in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and applicable federal, state and local laws and rules for financial and tax reporting.
- Leads, coaches and develops the individual members of their team to ensure the accomplishment of the team's goals. This role will have direct reports as well as leverage contractor/vendor and matrix/internal resources.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, business, or finance required; advanced degree in finance or professional designation (e.g., FSA, CPA or MBA)
- Significant high-level financial management/analysis experience or public accounting experience
- 7+ years of financial services industry specific experience, with a strong preference to working in an RIA environment.
- Strong understanding of RIA model and financial advisory practice model and economics.
- Expertise in expense management and financial/strategic planning
- Proficient in the use of MS Office and financial management software (TBD on which one)
- Ability to work on everyday details with an eye towards long-term strategy
- Employee management and supervision experience
You don't need to be Christian to join our team. You do need the passion to guide our members on their Wise With Money Journey, equipping them to live more content, confident and generous lives. Thrivent strives to provide an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) without regard to race, religion, color, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, sex, genetic information, or any other status or condition protected by applicable state or federal laws. This policy applies to all employees and job applicants.