Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund seeks a Director of Federal Advocacy Communications. This job reports to the Senior Director of Advocacy Communications in the Communications and Culture department of PPFA. The Communications and Culture department enhances Planned Parenthood's visibility, image, and influence and educates the public about key health, prevention, and advocacy issues.
- The Director of Federal Advocacy Communications would lead the communications team that supports Planned Parenthood’s federal, electoral, and legislative work, and would direct message and media strategy in relation to its political and legislative work. The Director should use communications strategies to win elections, win legislative fights, and to give hope and energize Planned Parenthood’s millions of supporters.
- Direct the overarching message, strategy, vision, and deliverables for the Federal Advocacy Media Team as they seek to implement an earned media strategy to advance Planned Parenthood’s political, legislative, and electoral goals.
- Develop overall message frame and creative, sharp communications strategies around the federal electoral work of Planned Parenthood political organizations, and oversee implementation of those strategies. Help position support for sexual and reproductive health as a defining electoral issue.
- Develop network of influential voices for Planned Parenthood by cultivating and deepening relationships with key political reporters/pundits, surrogates, communications staff at coalition allies (which encompasses women’s health and other issues), and communications staff at political committees and Congressional leadership offices.
- Ensure Planned Parenthood is seen as an influential player within the political and policy spheres. Work with team to build strategies to elevate key staff people’s profiles in influential spaces.
- Oversee production of press materials, ensuring they meet organization’s brand and overall message frame and goals. Review and edit other material to ensure that it reflects political strategies (speeches, briefings, etc).
- Contribute to broader strategies and direction of the Communications Division and support the successful execution of communications campaigns and initiatives, as a member of the senior management team within the media division.
- Directly manage a team of highly-skilled communications professionals to help them develop communications strategies and earned media plans around federal policy efforts, working closely with Government Relations, Organizing and Campaigns, Public Policy, and Litigation and Law divisions. Manage team with clear goals, support, feedback, and mentorship as they use communications strategies to help pass or defeat legislation and translate complex legislative issues into clear, concise, values-based content.
- Serve as a key point person for bringing a political lens to a broad range of work.
- Collaborate closely with senior staff as well as with other divisions of the
- communications team.
- Serve as an advisor/collaborator to affiliate staff on political communications matters and special projects as needed.
- Execute all of this with support, guidance and direction of the Senior Director of Advocacy Communications.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- At least 7 years of directly-related experience, including experience on multiple political advocacy campaigns (either directly for candidates or at political committees) and/or in Congress.
- Extremely sharp, proven, and battle-tested political instincts.
- Deep familiarity with federal legislative process, political campaign functions, and the intersections between the two.
- Strong existing relationships with DC-based policy and political media and influencers.
- Demonstrated ability to develop communications plans that are ambitious and achievable, and that both deepen public understanding/awareness about critical issues and promote organizations.
- Superb writing and editing skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Proven staff management skills. Demonstrated ability to work with a wide range of people and provide support, guidance, and mentorship.