Director, Facilities Management
11 - 15 years experience • Managed Care & Health Insurance
The preferred location for this position will be out of our Bethlehem, PA office, however, consideration to candidates who can work out of our forth coming Holmdel, NJ office will be given.
The Director of Facilities will provide overall direction for the operation, development, planning and coordination of Guardian’s company wide facility projects and capital activities. This Leader will ensure direct, indirect, outsourced facility management service providers and other vendors provide consistent,high-quality “best in class” services.
In an effort to improve overall Facilities customer service and provide a complete end to end service organization, the Director will be responsible for creating and implementing benchmark metrics which will include setting standards, policies and procedures across the portfolio.
- Create of strategic Facilities goals to meet overall Real Estate and Facilities objectives and to support IT and corporate objectives
- Evaluate potential acquisition properties and future NYC and NJ facility locations
- Responsible for end to end customer experience tracking and evaluation tool
- Forecast and coordinate all facilities related capital and operating budgets, as well as analyzing operating efficiencies and recommending continuous process improvement opportunities
- Coordinate development of short and long range facility and capital improvement plans in conjunction with real estate functions
- Manage the sustainability strategy and ensure that best practices are adhered to.
- Assist the project team in construction and implementation of all renovation projects including the administration of all outside vendors which include architectural / engineering and construction services
- Coordinate all construction work in HO’s facilities to ensure that work is completed in a timely manner and within budget
- Ensure compliance with Corporate and local standards and procedures related to business needs.
- Implement and enforce policies and standardization for office and workstation layouts
- Support Project Management team to ensure compliance to schedule, submissions, purchasing, and regular review of overall facilities work flow
- Control operational and reputational risk resulting from Guardians Facilities operations
- Forecast and manage facilities related capital and operating budgets, as well as analyzing operating efficiencies and recommending continuous process improvement opportunities
- Estimate and forecast all contract work. Select sub contract vendors based upon competitive bidding process
- Develop metrics to ensure efficient and cost effective services are provided
- Develop and manage processes for dashboard reporting, executive summaries, and monitoring progress against plan
- Contribute to analysis & reporting, and executive presentations
- Develop relationships with infrastructure vendors. Coordinate RFP process with procurement for all facilities projects
- Team player, extremely motivated, resourceful and organized
Provide leadership for direct reports and supporting staff. Coaching and motivating staff to accomplish department, functional and personal development goals.
Provide a safe, efficient, effective and appealing environment for the team.
This position reports to the Assistant Vice President, Facilities and will be responsible for four – six direct reports.
- Ten plus years of experience successfully leading teams and supervising large facilities and construction projects effectively, efficiently and with schedule improvements within budget and specified time frames
- College degree required; master’s degree desirable
- Deep experience managing all aspects of facilities projects and evaluate and provide expertise around potential site acquisitions
- Extensive knowledge or experience with contemporary Facilities Management applications including Building Management Systems (BMS)/Building Automation Systems (BAS), work order systems, facilities automations, process optimization, and advanced energy management knowledge including understanding of Leader of Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) and green initiatives and practices
- Proven ability to perform in a fast paced environment and interact with senior management under highly demanding conditions
- Proven ability to mentor and coach a team to higher levels of performance and experience leading a staff in multiple locations
- Hands on and creative; effective at troubleshooting and resolving complicated issues
- Excellent communication, presentation and relationship building skills
- Highly knowledgeable in building regulations and permit processes
- Exceptional construction project management skills
- Experience evaluating property for acquisition viability and potential new site locations
- Experience implementing end to end service tracking and feedback system
- Excellent vendor management skills
- Strong time management skills; ability to handle multiple concurrent assignments, with a high degree of accuracy, and meet deadlines in a high pressure environment
- Knowledge of work place safety requirements
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with diverse groups across the organization
- Ability to develop metrics to ensure efficient and cost effective services provided
- Experience in performing needs analysis and recommending reorganization strategy
- Experience in the competitive bidding process for large scale facilities projects
- Experience in benchmarking energy and water usage, transportation, recycling, air quality, etc.
- Proficiency required in MS Word, Excel, Power point, Visio, E-Pro
- Prior experience working in a complex corporate environment is critical for the success of this position and is required.
Bachelor’s Degree required. MBA or relevant advanced degree preferred.
- Approximately 30 – 35%
- Frequent travel to NY, Pittsfield’s MA, Appleton WI, and a future NJ site. Travel to other regional offices and global travel requiredas necessary.
Bethlehem, PA or Holmdel, NJ
For the successful candidate, we offer an attractive compensation package which will include base salary, annual bonus, and defined contribution and benefits program.
The Guardian Life Insurance Company of America® (Guardian), currently ranked #218 on the Fortune 500, is one of the largest mutual life insurers. As of December 31, 2016, Guardian reports $1.5 billion in operating income, $7.4 billion in capital, and $66.5 billion in assetsunder management. Guardian consistently scores high marks for financial strength from all four major credit rating agencies and enjoys a strong competitive position in its major businesses: life insurance, disability income insurance, annuities, investments, dental and vision insurance and employee benefits. As a mutual company founded over 150 years ago, Guardian is owned by its policyholders. The company has paid dividends to policyholders every year since 1868 and the Company’s 8,800 employees and 2,750 financial representatives are aligned with its mission to help individuals, families, and small businesses achieve financial security and protection. Guardian states its aspiration in the following way: “To be the trusted mutual partner, delivering financial security how, when, and where our clients prefer.”
Guardian is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, creed, religion, sex, affectional or sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, marital status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable law.