Universal Creative is the planning and development division of Universal Parks and Resorts™, which is one of the many businesses within NBCUniversal™. We are ideally situated in Orlando, Florida, which has become widely known as the theme park and resort capital of the world. We are responsible for the design, development, and delivery of all resort and theme park concepts for all of Universal vacation destinations worldwide – Universal Orlando Resort, Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal Studios Japan, Universal Studios Singapore, as well as a new destination coming in Beijing, China. Join us if you want to collaborate, innovate, develop, and deliver the most compelling entertainment experiences imaginable that drive growth for the Universal brand around the world.
JOB SUMMARY: Generate initial project budget estimates for all projects ranging from new Retail, Restaurants and Attractions Resort Hotels to entirely new Theme Parks. Completes subsequent estimates as the projects progress through design, to compare to budget. Includes management of in-house estimators and contracted estimating firms, both U.S. and Internationally based, for various scopes of work.
- Reviews initial budget estimates for new projects including estimate refinements prepared by the individual project estimators or outside estimating firms.
- Reviews continually evolving design documents and estimates prepared at each stage of the design by the project estimators or outside estimating firms to ensure the projects are tracking on budget. Includes working with project teams located in various cities and countries.
- Performs function of lead estimator for large scopes of work, which requires supervision of in-house or contracted estimating resources, as scope of work indicates.
- Assists project team with contractor change order negotiation on larger scopes.
- Researches market conditions for cost trends and local means and methods (both locally and internationally). Develops location cost factors and escalation factors. Analyze Universal Creative historical costs and disseminate to appropriate year and location. Incorporates current and historic costs into a central database. Develops comparisons for various attractions and non-attraction facilities.
- Develop conceptual Rough Order of Magnitude (ROM) estimates for projects prior to and in Blue Sky Phase to develop initial costs for
- business unit financial analysis.
- Creates ‘value engineering’ (VE) components with the project team to mitigate cost overruns.
SCOPE: Individual will be responsible for developing detailed estimates to support the submittal and approval process for all major capital projects that are managed by Universal Creative.
In addition, this individual will be responsible for the development of a comprehensive database from the past projects to assist in the improvement of the accuracy of our project budgeting on all projects.
EDUCATION:Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineer in related business fields is required. Master’s degree in Construction Management or Business Administration preferred.
EXPERIENCE: 10-15 years’ on-site construction and estimating experience on retail, food, hotel, theme parks and themed entertainment projects, knowledge of show and ride estimating and facility impacts required; or equivalent combination of education and experience. 15-20 years’ on-site construction and estimating experience for owners and/or contractors for in the Resort/Entertainment field of commercial construction; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Individual must be capable of presenting his cost estimates to upper management level positions, including Presidents of Universal Orlando and Universal Studios Hollywood, and President and Chief Operating Officer for Universal Parks & Resorts. In addition, individual will be required to interface with our third-party clients on International projects for large scale Resort and Theme Park developments.
Your talent, skills and experience will be rewarded with a competitive compensation package.